Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just contemplating on switching to an auto. Current setup is a 306, AFR 185, TFS stage1 cam, 72mm turbo, a tremec 3550, 3.55 gear, #3,000 car. I'm absolutely clueless about auto's. What is a good setup to run? Im wanting a transbreak, somewhat streetable, able to handle max 700hp but more likely in the 550-600 range. Overdrive would be a nice bonus.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Got to agree. Ditching the TKO for a powerglide was a great upgrade.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Got agree as well. Ran a manual for 26yrs. Switched to a C4 last year and won't look back. Much easier to setup the suspension for an auto as well. When you start making good power manuals become just too violent, well at least in my case. My brother owns a blown 98 cobra and will be making the switch from his TKO500 to a C4 as well.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen many people having good luck with the 4R70W. What's models are sought after when going into a fox with a 302?

·
Registered
67 Posts
99-04 3.8 v6 or 4.2 truck v6. Just make sure it has a mechanical speedometer output in the tail shaft. Some 02-04 models didn't have a mechanical speedometer.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the 4R70W computer controlled? If so can it be controlled by an A9L, or will it need a secondary computer?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
When you start making good power manuals become just too violent,
This is true, and to add to this I personally think that if the car is street driven, the converter "slippage" at lower speeds gets old, especially in stop & go traffic. Then it becomes a case of having a race car that you drive on the street, meaning you give some comfort for reliability and ease of use.

Lot of guys using 4R70W's successfully. Look for one out of a '03 or '04 Mustang V6, or 4.2L pickup trucks. They are expensive if built properly but so is everything else these days.

·
Registered
67 Posts
With a quality converter the slippage at low rpm is a non issue. I have a 8" UCC 5600 rpm stall in my car. It is very tame and you can take off from a stop light like any other car. It will literally start moving as soon as my rpms increase from idle and accelerate smoothly to redline. I do not have any of the low speed "slippage" like some of my prior cars that had a lower quality converter. My car is 10x more streetable with the auto than the TKO ever was.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My powerglide (Ultraglide) is smooth in city traffic.
Heard (read on the Internet) that you can not use a 2 speed transmission for a street car.

That is simply not accurate. I will add, the converter becomes key to the success.
Plus it's rated by the builder to hold 3,500#/ft. Significantly more than I will ever be able to throw at it.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Heard (read on the Internet) that you can not use a 2 speed transmission for a street car.

That is simply not accurate.

Yup. And a lot of the same people will tell everyone that a PG will slow you down. Neither have been the case on my end, but having overdrive is sure nice. I'm more of a stick-shift guy and that's the direction I'm going with my project, and I do have experience (plenty actually) with stalled auto's, never had one that I liked for a street car, other than a 4R70W but I still prefer the manual shift choose your own stall speed.

For high power and manual shift, the clutch has everything to do with the entire setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts