Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you are attaching a front sway, what is the proper way to tighten the end links? Since I am running a big bar I don't want to tighten it down too much and preload the bar (if thats possible). I know its pretty simple, but I don't want to cause myself any issues from tightening the end links down too much.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I usually tighten it down just til the bushings start squish.
I did that, but found that on "one side droop"(by jacking up one front wheel), slack would appear between the bushings. Mind you not much, but you could easily spin the bushings/washer by hand. Two or three more turns of the nut remedied this.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did that, but found that on "one side droop"(by jacking up one front wheel), slack would appear between the bushings. Mind you not much, but you could easily spin the bushings/washer by hand. Two or three more turns of the nut remedied this.
I noticed the same thing as well, but I was afraid to tighten too much.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I usually tighten them till the bushings squeeze to just slightly less diameter than the washers that surround them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I usually tighten them till the bushings squeeze to just slightly less diameter than the washers that surround them.
That may work well for a standard rubber bushing, but depending on the bushing material, it may have little to no deflection.

·
Registered
574 Posts
That may work well for a standard rubber bushing, but depending on the bushing material, it may have little to no deflection.
I've used both original rubber ones and poly ones and both deflect a good deal upon tightening. On the plain rubber ones, I go to the full thickness of the washer, on the poly ones I stop a little before the thickness of the washer, I just replaced the energy suspension ones I've had on there for 7 years (4 of those years included 5-10 track weekends a year) and they were still in good shape but the assembly was too tall for my new setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts