Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold the stock T5 and was wondering how much the 1st gear ratio of the TKO600 was gona affect me?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just blew up my T5Z which had a 2.95 first gear(similar to what the TKO's first gear is) and have reverted back to a stock T5 with the 3.35 first gear. The 3.35 first gear makes for easier stop light take off's, and it makes the car feel a little lighter under normal acceleration. However it goes by super quick if you go WOT. The 2.95 was definitely more usable. I have 3.27 rear gears, BTW.

I'm planning on going TKO-600 myself as soon as I save up the money. Gonna have to nurse around this stock T5 until then.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just wondering how much the gear change will hurt/help my 60' with a 26" drag radial and 3.27 gear. Not that my 60's were ever great to start with but would kinda like to know what to expect.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It probably won't hurt your 60' much, if any. The taller gear will probably just make the turbo spool a little faster.

·
Registered
618 Posts
With my TKO600, its hard to get it to leave hard. It either bogs or spins. I even put a 4.10 gear in the back trying to help out. But of course i am not turbo'd.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think it would help with pitting the torque down. Guess I will just have to see.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well with my current combo(in sig) i cut 1.8 60ft on stiff suspension and 17" DR's. I just switched over to a ram twin disc in anticipation of the turbo. From a light I like the 1st gear eventhough it starts to spin around 4500. I think it would help load the turbo faster also??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts