Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Mike, did you get mine and Brigitte's entry? Will you be going up on the 5th or early in the morning on the 6th? I was hoping to get there early so we could take care of course setup before all the drivers show up.

BTW, the MSCC mini-prix was a blast! I took 2nd overall, only Edstrom in his highly modified C5 Vette beat me. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glenn said:
Mike, did you get mine and Brigitte's entry? Will you be going up on the 5th or early in the morning on the 6th? I was hoping to get there early so we could take care of course setup before all the drivers show up.

BTW, the MSCC mini-prix was a blast! I took 2nd overall, only Edstrom in his highly modified C5 Vette beat me. :)
Got your registrations Glenn, sorry thought I sent confirmation on that.
I'm going up early on the 6th.

Congrats on the 2nd overall at MSSC!!
Sombody needs to take down Edstrom's Vette.

Mike

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
is this open to anyone(namely me)? I'm attending my first SCCA event this weekend, and I know I'll be hooked afterwards.

I'll send you a PM. I just wanted to make sure it was open to some of us who are wet behind the ears.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris_Red_V6 said:
is this open to anyone(namely me)? I'm attending my first SCCA event this weekend, and I know I'll be hooked afterwards.

I'll send you a PM. I just wanted to make sure it was open to some of us who are wet behind the ears.
Yes, open to anyone. And yes you will be hooked like the rest of us!!
This will be a great time for beginners, there will be some top notch instructors and you'll get plenty of seat time.

Mike

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
We are going to have some good instructors for you first timers and also for you more advanced drivers. GIR is an excellent course that is a lot of fun to drive. This will be an opportunity to see just how well you car handles or maybe how it doesn't handle. It will be a great learning experience.

Any other Florida Corralers going? Oktavius? Han Solo? Dan94GT?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm trying to talk Oktavius, and I have a friend in a V6 who is 50/50%, and then I'm having an guest (great intelligent enthusiast, just bought a sube) come with me, who I might pay for to let him get some laps in my car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
alright Glenn called me out, I have to do it!

This looks Awesome and I want to do it but have some ?s

Is it just the $65 or do I have to pay the $40 fee (who's guest am I) and do we have to buy the lunch.

Also I had been using a friends helmet (who has it in gainsville where I will be staying, so I cant look at it) but I guess its just a motorcycle helmet not a SA. And those things are damn expensive on ebay $150 for open face (any reason not to get open face, as far as sanctioning and what not?)

I want to do it but I just cant if this is going to cost over $300 (gas, tolls ect.)

Ive got to find out more because I really want to do this. Looks way better than IRCC and Deland.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Dan94GT said:
Is it just the $65 or do I have to pay the $40 fee (who's guest am I) and do we have to buy the lunch.
You can come as my guest and save the $40.
Also I had been using a friends helmet (who has it in gainsville where I will be staying, so I cant look at it) but I guess its just a motorcycle helmet not a SA. And those things are damn expensive on ebay $150 for open face (any reason not to get open face, as far as sanctioning and what not?)
If you intend to keep doing SCCA events you will need to buy a helmet anyway. A Snell M95 helmet will not pass inspection starting in 2006 so you really need to get a Snell M or SA 2000 or better anyway. An open face is fine for both open track events and for Solo II. I prefer the full face but that's me, get whatever you like and is within your budget. Frankly an SA is the way to go as you are legal for just about any event you want to attend and they are safer than an M rated helmet. Check with saferacer.com, soloracer.com or discoveryparts.com for a helmet, they have some pretty good deals.
I really want to do this. Looks way better than IRCC and Deland.
It is way better and you will have an absolute blast!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Chris_Red_V6 said:
M2000 helmets work fine for this event?
I checked back with event organizers and got this information. A snell M95 or newer works for autcross but track events require an SA95 rated helmet. In 2006 the minimum standard goes up to SA2000 or better. I would suggest ordering one now while you have a month to get one.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
can a SA2000 helmet double for motorcycle duty? I've noticed the shape of many to look not very cunductive to both purposes. I guess I could get one for each, but if I didn't have to spend the money twice, that would help a lot.

Does anyone have any good specific deals on entry level helmets? I've started to search the links posted, although I have a lot to learn, haha.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
[SPAM]

http://www.dariusrudis.com/simpson

SA can be used as motorcycle. In laymens terms, testing is done:
1. "bowling ball drop on helmet - looks for no cracks". On SA-rated, you drop the ball TWICE - no cracks.
2. in case of fire, NYLON melts and sticks to you face, then catches fire (thats a bad thing). NOMEX doesnt burn.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update 10/16/05 we have 10 opennings left. I'm holding a few spots so if you want to come be sure to shoot me a PM, then send I your registration.

Mike

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm psyched. Can't wait. I'm going to have to bring a HJC helmet though, having rear differential problems that are likely to eat my remainding funds.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
hey, just wanted to bring this back up

If we've PM'ed, do we need to have any forms submitted before?

I also have 2 more drivers if there are slots remaining.

EDIT: on the tech form, it shows no Snell M helmets? Is that enforced for this event?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm almost ready to go, unfortunately, I'm stuck on the front suspension, and won't have time to get rid of the GMS arms. Its a scary thought to be running the course on them, but I don't think I have a choice. I'm going to bring some tools with me and jacks/jackstands, I might have an oppurtunity to swap the lower arms to the MM ones onsite depending on how things look and if I can get help in labor. I also had to forgo the bumpsteer kit, not a single shop in town could get the spindles drilled this week :/

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I would not count on doing the LCA's onsite. There really isn't anywhere to work on a car and if you run into a problem you're screwed. there is nowhere to park the car won concrete or asphalt and it's a good twenty to thirty minutes to the nearest place to buy anything automotive. Just make sure eveything is safe to run and come on out and have fun.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts