Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stangnet has an article on how the Mach 1(stick and auto ) were tested at Atlanta. Go check it out. 12.97 for the 5 speed and 13.92 for the auto with Paul driving!

JOHN

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
mach 1

What those guys are failing to realize is that the Mach 1 also has specially ground cams to make better low end torque, as specified in blue oval new mach 1 spec's. And what ford was saying is the price rang is going to be between the cobra and gt models. just like the bullits !!!!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
If I bought a car with a cobra motor, and it didn't go 12.97 on street tires from the factory, I'd piss on it, and drive it into the dealerships window.

Congrats Paul?:rolleyes:

joe

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
RavenGT said:
If I bought a car with a cobra motor, and it didn't go 12.97 on street tires from the factory, I'd piss on it, and drive it into the dealerships window.
But you can't even get a live-axled stock Cobra into the 12's on street tires, Joe. Not quite sure what you're getting at here.... please inform.

Personally, I really think that 12.97 on DR's is a great time, especially for being stock!! I don't think I've seen a stock (save for live axle) Cobra run 12's on DR's before. I'm sure Paul is a hell of a driver though. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,018 Posts
No such thing as a Cobra that has ever gone 12.97 in 100% bone stock trim....won't be such a thing till the 03 comes out. If anybody thought any different when they bought their Cobra, they were sadly mistaken.

Hell, my original goal was only mid 12's with bolt-on's and DR's. I'm rather happy with the way my car has responded.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That is true about the 12 second right from the factory. But hey a low 13 second right from Ford not to bad. Put some exhaust and drag radials on it and go some high to mid 12s can't complain with that now can you. Plus with the mach1 you have the solid rear to smack some 4:56s-4:88s with some slicks and a few other things hello 11s.:D

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Bob Cosby said:
No such thing as a Cobra that has ever gone 12.97 in 100% bone stock trim....won't be such a thing till the 03 comes out. If anybody thought any different when they bought their Cobra, they were sadly mistaken.

Hell, my original goal was only mid 12's with bolt-on's and DR's. I'm rather happy with the way my car has responded.
My comment was poke at the Mach 1, and the driving prowess of Paul. It was meant to be funny, but if you would like to examine things, then we shall.

(Re-opening the debate over cost/performance for the Cobra/GT)
For a vehicle with a predictably high price tag, that time doesn't impress me. You take the Ever-respected Cobra 4V engine, you place it into a "special" chassis and drivetrain, designed with drag-racing people in mind(although their lawyers won't admit that), and you glue on a price-tag that will most likely include a "Fair Market Adjustment" column on it. That car had better come out running high 12s from the factory. Why?? Cost and performance comparison.

Maybe I just think I am entitled to the most performance for the dollar that I work my ass off for. (now let use hypothetical $$ fugures here) Why on earth would someone pay $30,000 for a car, that they are buying for performance reasons, when they are capable of buying a $21,000 car, and with $3,000 in aftermarket upgrades, run better times(have better performance)????

And for those who will argue, "Yeah, but you void you warranty," I raise the question as to whether they have talked to their local service department on anything higher than a 5th grade level lately. Personally, there isn't a dealership in Orlando that I would allow to touch my vehicle.

As to the "Vehicle Depreciation" argument, all cars depreciate, the Mach 1 is no less immune to that fact of life. The Bullitt, The Mach 1, The Cobra, The GT, the V6 LX, all depreciate. Hell, the Cobra R can be had fairly reasonably now. So why not save the money initially, customize/enhance/upgrade to the level of performance expected, and be happy.

Maybe I just read into the thread too much, but my point to the whole reply above was, Woop-de-doo. For the money it will cost for that vehicle, I sure hope it does have that level of performance.

edited... my apologies.
joe

·
Corral Charter Member
2,018 Posts
Come on Joe...relax. I didn't catch your sarcasm in the first thread. I apologize, but sometimes sarcasm and such just doesn't translate well when it is written and not said.

Forgive me for upsetting the higher-ups.
Dude....no need to throw the snide comments in there. I'm far from upset, and if others are, then they have a personal problem. I'm quite happy with my current vehicle, and the deal I got on it. It is quite likely that you are happy with yours, and I certainly hope everybody can say the same thing....whether they are buying a Focus or a Ferrari this year or last - to each their own.

Personally, if I was going out to buy a new car this summer, and I was after the best 1/4 mile performance for the lowest amount of dollars, I'd be at my local Chevy dealer picking up a left over low-option Z28. But to each their own. :joy:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
JOHN1243 said:
Stangnet has an article on how the Mach 1(stick and auto ) were tested at Atlanta. Go check it out. 12.97 for the 5 speed and 13.92 for the auto with Paul driving!

JOHN
Paul probably had that new $200 intake spacer installed on the 12.97 pass:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I talked to SD Wheeler today and he told me he got to drive the new Mach 1 around in the pits! He said he was sitting in the drivers seat when they put the drag radials on and he said to the Mustang team manager he wanted to drive it because he pushed them to build it! So SD and the Mustang team manager went for a spin. He's lucky!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts