Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is something to ponder while deciding what suspension parts you are going to purchase for your street or track car...

YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE

Your car's suspension is what keeps YOU in control of the vehicle. Any one suspension part failure could cause you to loose that control. If you don't have control at highway speeds (or faster) death or serious injury is very possible.

Ask questions. Investigate the part, the manufacturer. Who else is using the part(s)? How good/bad is the manufacturer's reputation? Is it manufactured well? etc, etc... If you have any doubts, go with something else.

Every manufacturer has a disclaimer with their parts relieving them from responsibility if the part fails. There may be a warranty, but a warranty does not cover your life or hospital bills. Ultimately the responsibility is yours.

No matter what you choose, regular inspection is a MUST. Bolts loosen and bushings wear. It is even possible that cracks may appear. You won't know until it is too late if you don't check things out regularly.

Please, take time, choose wisely, and inspect regularly. Your life may depend on it.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I pray this only has to do with recent events on this forum and is not the result of a life taking failure.

Its sound advice, hopefully everyone (myself included) will hold a strict practice to it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
jus wanted to add a lil bit. had an eye opener today while workin on a car that see alot of track time, by an owner who doesnt turn wrenches.
be sure you know your machine, and if you are along for the ride in someone elses machine make sure you know them well enough to know they know thier machine!
like i said was workin on a car that sees alot of track time, and on disassembly i found 2 lower strut to spindle bolts finger loose, three FLCA bolts finger loose, and a steering shaft bolt that was also loose. scary stuff to think these types of cars are out on the track. even if its not your car, a car like this could be on the same track as you.

·
Registered
613 Posts
That's why I use only the best valve stems. If you're going down the turnpike at 65mph and your valve stems blow causing your tires to loose air, you could crash and die. Do not buy cheap valve stems!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Bill87GT said:
That's why I use only the best valve stems. If you're going down the turnpike at 65mph and your valve stems blow causing your tires to loose air, you could crash and die. Do not buy cheap valve stems!
not trying to be mean, but that statement made me laugh out loud :lol:

·
Registered
850 Posts
thinkid17 said:
not trying to be mean, but that statement made me laugh out loud :lol:
Yeah, pretty funny until it happens to you.

I had a valve stem blow out on my trailer. Luckily, it was after I arrived at an event. When I checked the other three on the trailer, two were pretty rotted and ready to go. Just one more thing on the yearly check list now.

Funny part is, I always check air pressure on all the car, the SUV and the trailer tires before towing. With spares, that's 15 tires to check about once a month (nice to have a decent compressor). But, I never noticed how deteriorated the valve stems on the trailer were.

Little stuff can kill you just as fast as big stuff and it's a lot sneakier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts