Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What suspension mods are guys doing to get a drag radial to hook up at the track? I'm blown away by how fast these guys are going.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My car is running
HPM mega bite uppers and lowers
lake wood 50/50s and 90/10s
Ford Eibach Drag Launch springs
14-15psi tire pressure
Launching at 4k rpm
Usually a high 1.5 or low 1.6 60'

My 60's aren't the best but my car hooks pretty good for a 5spd

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is running
HPM mega bite uppers and lowers
lake wood 50/50s and 90/10s
Ford Eibach Drag Launch springs
14-15psi tire pressure
Launching at 4k rpm
Usually a high 1.5 or low 1.6 60'

My 60's aren't the best but my car hooks pretty good for a 5spd
What tires and how's the track prep?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I run Mickey Thompson 275/60/15s Et Street Radials
This has been at 2 different tracks.
Maryland International Raceway was very well prepped
Coastal Plains Drag way is usually decent for Test and tune days

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run Mickey Thompson 275/60/15s Et Street Radials
This has been at 2 different tracks.
Maryland International Raceway was very well prepped
Coastal Plains Drag way is usually decent for Test and tune days
I'm a newbie at 55 and my first outing will be in a few weeks. The locals say that Wildhorse Pass track prep on test and tune nights is terrible. Supposedly; anything other than a slick won't be fun. I'm in need of new rears and I'd just as soon not have two sets of wheels and tires. With practice; I'd like to beat the odds.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have lots of fun, even been able to see a little light under the front tires a few times. I like not having to switch tires out at the track and be in full street form.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
The suspension set up is pretty much the same between slicks and radials, outside of tire pressure differences. The major difference between hooking on a radial compared to a slick is track prep. The radial needs liberal doses of unicorn piss and pixie dust during track prep. The radial is more of a razors edge to hook, while a slick is much more forgiving. You start spinning a radial, it is not going to recover, while if you spin a slick, a quick pedal will get it to hook. It seems that a radial will either dead hook or not. Period, No in-between.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say you guys are full of piss and vinegar. :grin2:

Reactions: KEVIN$

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had neither, in my are. I also noticed like Saleen said, I made minimal adjustments going from radial to slick. Radial class always puts on a hell of a show, and I always thought from a newb point of view, the slick was more forgiving.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Radials are typically 1-2 + tenths quicker depending on power level. Instead of dragging a half flat slick down the track, the radial offers a whole bunch less rolling resistance.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Radials are typically 1-2 + tenths quicker depending on power level. Instead of dragging a half flat slick down the track, the radial offers a whole bunch less rolling resistance.
I hadn't thought about that. It makes sense.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I do agree with the above statement of they hook or they don't. On slicks I have been able to save run if I had too much spin. With the radial once the go up in smoke of the line you gotta get all the way out and back in and I shut off my spray as a safety percussion. But I do like the challenge and makes my slow car more fun and interesting to drive.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Most manual trans drag racers try to hit their bias slicks hard enough to get some controlled wheelspin during launch. That wheelspin helps keep rpm up where the engine can make more power. Problem is that doesn't work with radials, as they basically need to dead hook. Since controlled wheelspin no longer works to your advantage, controlled clutch slip then becomes the key to keeping your engine up where it's happy.
That's not as hard to do as you might think :wink2:

Grant

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
The suspension set up is pretty much the same between slicks and radials, outside of tire pressure differences. The major difference between hooking on a radial compared to a slick is track prep. The radial needs liberal doses of unicorn piss and pixie dust during track prep. The radial is more of a razors edge to hook, while a slick is much more forgiving. You start spinning a radial, it is not going to recover, while if you spin a slick, a quick pedal will get it to hook. It seems that a radial will either dead hook or not. Period, No in-between.
if we went back to a slick, 100% of the suspension would change. the set up is 100% different

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if we went back to a slick, 100% of the suspension would change. the set up is 100% different
Can you elaborate without giving up your secrets?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
shock settings... bar angles.. springs... weight bias... all of it would change if we went back to slicks.

hell we would prob need to change converter related stuff also

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
shock settings... bar angles.. springs... weight bias... all of it would change if we went back to slicks.

Yup, but that car is at a whole different level. Lower HP stuff does not require such drastic changes.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

That's a lot of changes for sure. I'm hitting the track Dec. 7th for the first time in my life. It's just a fun guys night out where I can get a feel for it. I have a lot to learn but look forward to the challenge.

Reactions: I.C.E

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Lower HP stuff does not require such drastic changes.
kinda hard to say where the tipping point of not changing anything to having to make tons of changes is. i honestly don't deal with cars that make less than 1k hp anymore. but even that low, what it takes to make it go fast are different

radial needs dead hooked
slick needs wheel speed

1 - 20 of 33 Posts