Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm doing a 5 lug swap on my 86 2.3t Mustang coupe project, using the following parts:

94 GT control arms and spindles, Fox Koni Yellow struts, BBK caster camber plates, and Ford racing C springs with poly isolators.

I'm mocking everything up, and it seems like I have to jack the control arms up pretty high to get the strut to bolt to the spindles. Just going by other cars I've worked on, it seems like either the car is going to sit way too low, or there won't be much negative suspension travel before hitting the maximum extension of the struts.

When I mocked it up with the springs installed, the struts just barely bolted on when the springs were compressed enough to lift the car off the jackstand when jacking on the outer bottom of the control arm. This is with the top strut nut barely all the way on the strut.

Is this normal for Konis, or do I have some incompatible parts? See pictures of suspension fully decompressed on jackstands:

http://i56.tinypic.com/21mzp8z.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2vae8gk.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2ewi53o.jpg

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Its because you have that gi####inggantic spacer on top of the c/c plate. What's the deal with that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
It does look like there should be more droop travel, about as much as it looks like has been lost to that spacer. That doesn't look right at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably need to try different CC plates then. Must be something about using them on my 86 with 87-93 struts and SN95 control arms/spindles that throws it all off. I do know there's a spacer that goes under the CC plates when you use them on a 87-93 and no spacer for 86 and older, but I figured swapping the other parts would make it like swapping them on a 87+ I can't think of what would be different that would make that big of a difference, unless the pre-86 LX had spindles with different strut mounting height or something along with the different crossmember?

If I get different CC plates I can at least use less spacers on top and put them on the bottom to make it droop lower.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The spacer below the CC plates I mention is for 82 and older, not 86. So the CC plate should be correct for my car. Something about the 94 GT lower control arms and spindles has to be throwing it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maximum Motorsports set me straight. It's a combination of this type of C/C plate with the Polyurethane bushing raising the strut mounting, and the 94/95 Spindles having a strut mounting ear that's 29mm lower than my stock ones.

Buying new CC plates with spherical bearings to remedy the issue. Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I used Bilsteins and MM CC plates when I did this to my 86: stock k-member, 04 Mach 1 a-arms (same length as yours), 95 spindles and C springs with poly isos. Your new CC plates will correct that bump problem. The result on mine was the Cs made the front too low for the wider track - major tire/fender clearance issues with my 245/45/17s on 96 cobra Wheels. I also needed to buy the MM bump-steer kit made for the longer a-arms with the stock Fox rack. The stock outer tie rods will not give you enough thread engagement to be safe - not long enough. The MM piece adds extra length to accomodate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts