·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's my sig, which I can't update without losing a lot of it because the character limit is smaller than it used to be. Since I created the sig I added GT40 heads and Steeda X2 balljoint and got rid of the Corbeau seats.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Very nice. I'd like you to do the same with a stang with heavy suspension mods!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Two thumbs up!!! Great video and nice driving. What kind of tires were you on?

Looks like a fun track. I really liked those fast right-left-right sections.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was running the last life out of my Kumho MX 245/45-17's. Getting a new set today, the first time in years I've gone through more than one set in a year. Stands to reason since I've put over 750 track miles on them this year.

Yeah, *I'd* like to the same with more suspension mods. There was a guy out there in an '87-93 GT with all the Griggs goodies except coilovers, plus a healthy dose of power, and he just ran away from me...and right off the track, virtually every session. Ended up breaking his trans from violent real wheel hop under braking.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Saw you post this over on Corner Carvers. You mentioned much quicker lap times. Since I seem to remember you just installing X2's, how much of the improved times do you contibute to the X2's? Enjoyed the video!

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hard to say what they contributed but it had to be something. I can attribute the first few seconds of improvement from the first day to the second just to learning the line better. The improvements from the second trip to the third came even though the part where I probably got the most gain was screwed up by track repair. Without that section I think I'd have been another 1-2 seconds faster for a 4-5 second gain over the 2nd trip...and I'm not willing to claim it all came from driving.

I noticed the car stuck a little better in turns and exhibited WAY less of what I can't describe very well except to say that it used to kind of boing-boing-boing across the diagonal formed by the inside front and outside rear, and hardly does that anymore at all. Used to be able to hear it in the videos and even see it to some extent, not so much anymore, and those were the only things changed between events. All other equipment and settings were identical.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Great video! Keeping up with an Elise is quite an achievement.

·
Registered
811 Posts
MFE said:
Here's my sig, which I can't update without losing a lot of it because the character limit is smaller than it used to be. Since I created the sig I added GT40 heads and Steeda X2 balljoint and got rid of the Corbeau seats.
Sorry to hijack the thread but... Why did you get rid of the Corbeau seats and what did you replace them with?

Thanks, Ed

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The lower cushion on the Corbeau's never felt comfortable to me...the thigh bolstering is too tall and too closely spaced for my 6-3 245 (at the time) frame. On top of that, the seats were flimsy, really no stronger than the stock seats, and on top of that, no matter what I did (short of bolting them straight to the floor) I couldn't get them low enough even with the Corbeau sliders and not simply the adapters. So the stockers went back in.

·
Registered
965 Posts
it's very odd to see a 13years old Mustang beating an Elise in the turns... i guess there is nothing odd about MFE beating someone else at the track. :cool:

BTW. how old are your 1/4 mile times? Seemed like the Elise was quite faster in the straight, i didn't know they were that fast in the straights. I know they are under 2000lbs/ 190hp... but still.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those are old, with stock heads and cam...now that I have better heads and cam :rolleyes: the best I could do on my one trip to the strip this year was 13.90's at about 101. The elise is known for mid/low 13's at about 101. Far better power-to-weight ratio though. I was surprised it didn't walk me down the straights.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice smooth driving. Very relaxed and consistent- maybe too relaxed, but hey, you're not racing- just embarassing some guy in an Elise.

The first thing I noticed was your car has no power- your tach moves like cold molasses in 3rd gear. My perspective might be warped- my Mustang traps 117 in the 1/4 and my road race car is *faster* in a straight line. :)

Second thing was it looks like you could stand to loosen the car up a little- lots of tire squeal but only one instance of oversteer on the whole vid.

Last thing is you should also consider rebuilding your posi- heard the engine rev unchecked a few times mid turn.

750 track miles is excellent out of a set of tires. I probably ran the racecar about the same number of miles this year, and I don't want to count how many sets of R45 Hoosiers I used.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fast92Coupe said:
Nice smooth driving. Very relaxed and consistent- maybe too relaxed,
I may look relaxed but I was concentrating like a mutha. I still tend to grip the wheel too hard sometimes. I've had a lot of people tell me I look relaxed. I don't know why that is except I try not to over-react to every little thing and I keep my vision way ahead of the car. I learned while autocrossing "smooth is fast".

Second thing was it looks like you could stand to loosen the car up a little- lots of tire squeal but only one instance of oversteer on the whole vid.
That's that one video...you should see my bloopers/slides/spin compilation. When I had a fellow mustang driver (beautiful 86 GT damn near perfectly matched with mine performance-wise) ride along with me and proclaim that my car's rear end felt a whole lot more planted than his I damn near choked, because to me, it's a handful.

I tend to trail-brake pretty aggressively and it often leads to corner-entry oversteer. That one instance you speak of in this video was a one-off. I have NEVER had the car oversteer on that part of the track in over 200 laps there, and frankly I don't know why it did.

Last thing is you should also consider rebuilding your posi- heard the engine rev unchecked a few times mid turn.
Tell me about it...and most times I'm feathering the throttle trying to keep that in check. I get destroyed by other drivers on right-hand corner exits. I make up for it in braking zones and left-handers. But the last time I was in the diff this spring to freshen up the clutches, I discovered I had assembled it wrong the last time, and when I went to repack it the "good" way I discovered there was no way in hell I could get it back together with anything but the used clutches in the factory order. I don't know why...maybe it's the axles that came with the Baer conversion, I don't know, but I gave up caring too much because I was just dead sick and tired of working on the car after two head swaps and some other BS in the span of a couple months. I just wanted to drive the damn thing warts and all, so that's what I've done.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts