Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a free Superchip computer chip. It is for a 95 GT 5spd and is supposedly set up for a stock 5.0. Does anyone have any idea what might be on this thing before I plug it in and try it? Are there some genaric things chip makers do to there chips on the sn95s like tip timing retard? Should I set my timing back to stock?

I looked on Superchips site and they say very little. I'm sure for a fee I could send it to them to see what's really on it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of being free. Duh!!

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Chris.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
1 thing..

I had a Superchip on my basically stock car, it did give it a bit more power and helped shifiting (aod-e).

I'm not sure how much improvement you will see on a 5-speed though.

Set your timing to 10 degrees and install the chip. Since its a used chip and without instructions, make sure you clean the connections on the computer. Go to Radio Shack and get some contact cleaner and some very fine sandpaper for contacts. You need to go down one layer--BUT NOT MORE-- to ensure that your connection is good. (I believe it starts out gold and then turns silver once you sand away the oxidation.

Good luck and keep the chip for future mods.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guarddog II. This was just the kind of info I was looking for. I did not expect anything big believe me.

Five oh gt.............A co-worker had it kicking around in his tool box and had no use for it. It was a friend of his from long ago that went Carb or something crazy like that. Free is free, I said thank you very much.

I will post my improvement from the track if there are any.
Thanks again.
Chris.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts