Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

So if I have a 97 Cobra bone stock for performance mods except for a WMS Velocity Tube and I was thinking about adding a s/c, what other mods should be made to circumvent possible problems that might arise from the stock parts being stressed because of the extra hp and torque. For example: new trans? New heads? New clutch? Has anyone puyt on a s/c and run across similar troubles? I drive the car fairly hard and do maybe 3 or 4 drag strip events each year. I would just hate to spend a few $K on the s/c and then push the powertrain or other parts past their tolerances. Any honest opinions/experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would think the trac lok, the tranny and clutch will be the weak link. MHO

Terry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did a search, do you know how many times supercharger, s/c, SC, and any other combination comes up. Going through several hundred posts is just a little too time consuming, so I was hoping that someone who has had problems or made specific mods to correct those problems would point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When I first got my S/C put on all I did was put on the base kit from Vortech, a set of 3.73 gears, HP performance sub frames/lower rear control arms, a Pro5.0 shifter and that was it. Since then I added the boost & fuel upgrades, headers/exhaust, etc. But I did no block,head mods or fuel line/rail mods. The car has the original clutch & tranny ... Not saying getting the stuff you are talking about wanting /needing to do are bad but you don't need just to have a blower..

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think intercooled is the way to go, no matter the blower brand. I do like the P1SC, it works very well. I would upgrade injectors and MAF along with an intank pump. I would go with a better clutch when yours poops out. A Pro 5.0 is a good idea. Actually may help your trans live longer and shift much better than stock. Rear end with the heavy car and lots of power seems to be the weekest link. Subframes are mandatory IMO.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have a supercharger on my GT and drive it hard everyday. I try to run it at the drag strip once a month. The only changes to the drivetrain so far have been a dual friction centerforce clutch and 3.73 gears and so far so good. I have had the blower since last November, about 6000 miles. What I would suggest is getting a custom chip burned by a good dyno-tuner. This will make sure you don't get any detonation. Also get a good set of spark plugs, at least one step colder in range and keep an eye on them. Check them after each oil change.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a vortech-blown '96 cobra convertible. Granted, it only has 16,000 miles on it right now, and I've only had the car for a little under 3 months, but I can still tell you my experiences. The vortech kit itself is completely stock, no custom dynotune or anything yet...

Driving with boost is a blast, but I rarely (no more than a few times per day that I drive it) get too heavy into the boost. I haven't had the "cooling fix" done, but I plan to get an aftermarket radiator (and do an intercooler install) in the near future. As of now, I haven't seen any hotter than "A" in "normal". That was on an 80* day, while I was driving it hard, then stopping at stop lights. The fan at that point was running, and cooled it down fine. I've gone drag racing once, and have had it to the dyno once. At the drag track, as long as you run the A/C in the staging area (Forces the fan to run), the car will stay cool enough.

I just replaced the spark plugs with Autolite 103's today (1 step colder, and copper rather than platinum), so I have yet to see how the car reacts. I gapped them at .035.

The transmission is in GREAT shape. I'm the third owner, and the blower system was installed when the car had less than 5k on the clock, way back in mid '96 (right after Vortech started making the kits for 4v applications). I recently drove another stang with a T-45, and mine is MUCH smoother. As long as you don't abuse the tranny, there is a reasonable chance that it might last well for you. Certainly no guarantees though.

Biggest thing with superchargers is maintenance. When they say change the oil at 3k, they aren't fooling around. I use Mobil 1 oil & filter, and change it at 3k. The oil seems to have a good amount of "gunk" in it at that point. I also use Sunoco 94 gas. More expensive, but detonation insurance is good.

I too have wondered if & when things will go out on me. My answer is this: I don't know, but the car seems to be running great now. If something goes out, then it is time to replace it with something beefier. (forged engine, or new tranny or clutch or whatever....) No reason to do that kind of stuff before it needs to be done in my book.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts