Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really looking into getting some Bilsteins for my 1993 5.0L. I want to change out the springs as well. What is the best matching springs for the Bilsteins for my daily driver.

I will have longtubes and I don't want my car slammed. Any suggestions or pics?

·
Registered
506 Posts
TOTALLY off the subject, but ... jeostang, i'd never checked out your 1991 LX before ... zounds, what a neat-looking car!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Thanks,

I'm trying to set it up for autocross, it was totally setup for drag before. Its a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
115 Posts
jeostang said:
I just installed H&R race springs and bilstien shocks and struts. Very Nice
How much did the H&R springs lower your car? What size wheel and tire are you running? This stuff is on the fox body, yes/no?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'll post some pics tomorrow, They lowered my car about an inch, its a 91 coupe. Its running on 17 inch rims, 235/45 up front and 275/40s in the back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What's the ride like with those springs and shocks? Did you have to roll the rear wheel well lip for the 275's? I'm running on my car (91 hatch), "C" springs and tokico 5 way's, poly bushing thru-out everything, 18" wheels, 245/35 (front) and 265/35 (rear), and have been thinking about going to the H&R springs with Bilstien struts and shocks. Here's a pic of mine from last spring after the new brakes and wheels were put on:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I was thinking of H&R springs (but which ones for good ride quality...i'm picky) and matching bilsteins. Suggestions? Which ones?

Thanks for the pic...I hope they will look similar with "small" ponies that I still have.

·
Registered
115 Posts
5spd GT said:
Yeah I was thinking of H&R springs (but which ones for good ride quality...i'm picky) and matching bilsteins. Suggestions? Which ones?
I guess it would all depend on what you want the car to be or do afterwards. Have you gone to Maximum Motorsports page (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/onlinecat-asp.asp) or H&R (http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html), I personally am going to look at the H&R super sport springs, just the right amount of drop I'm looking for.
5spd GT said:
Thanks for the pic...I hope they will look similar with "small" ponies that I still have.
There used to be a company that made 17 inch ponies, I haven't heard or seen anything about them in quite awhile though.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have a complete Bullitt setup in mine. Got it used from a guy on the Bullitt forums, with very low mileage. It rides great and handles very well for a "budget" setup. Also, it does not lower the car like a lot of the aftermarket springs do. I would not hesitate to recommend a Bullitt setup for a daily driver.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not going to be getting bigger ponies...I was just curious what it would look like with my current ponies on there.

Well they have race, super race, sport, and super sport springs. What is best matched for the Bilsteins strut rating?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The H&R race and bilstiens drop the car about an inch, and the ride is a bit stiff but I like it like that. I wanted to get H&R Super Race but I'll probably be going to coil over in the next year.

I'll post a pic shortly.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks,

What is the best lb rating for the springs that match the Bilstein's for better ride comfort and overall good matching?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I race in the DC area autocross and philly. What class are you setting up for. you might want to think about setting up for a SM OR CP class the start with. Are you going to be at the Oct 9th DC region race? If so look me up. :salute:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the best lb rating for the springs that match the Bilstein's for better ride comfort and overall good matching?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The race is at FED-X field (redskins) Oct. 9th. If you can come out and talk the people to see what class you like. We run in the afternoon (after 12:00). Registration might be full by now.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Below are some pictures of my '89 with bilstiens and H&R race in front and 360-390 torque arm springs in the rear (the rear race springs had a near identical drop). The guys at MM stated the race springs and bilstiens were an excellent match and many people on here will support that. It's firm but streetable, in my opinion. I've got poly throughout the suspension, and more than anything else, that increased the NVH.

I've got 245/45-17's all around but autox with 16 x 8's. The front fenders needed rolled due to the "0" offset of the wheels.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts