Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, after 10 days of interacting with the not-so-intelligent staff at ford consumer's office, i finally received a letter (that would take 2 days, 7 at most) to the address i told them NOT to send it to. lol. it said they would not take responsibility for the accident because there was no police report (first, i didn't want a ticket (which i would've been issued), and two, what kind of cop knows about IAC problems in 99+ gt's). they said insurance company's usually see if the case is worth taking up. that's very sweet of ford to offer me advice on sueing them. :rolleyes: i AM going to talk with my insurance company about the problem, and if they can't help me, then i will file a suit against ford for damage to my car and any difference in insurance rates due to their faulty equipment.

has anyone got any info for me about the problem with gt's, know about class action suits (i've printed 110 pages of people on mustang forums with 99+ gt's with this problem), or have advice in taking ford to court?

email: [email protected]

thanks,
nate

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wish you luck buddy....I have had problem with my 02 Gt, but nothing like your.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I assume you are talking about the IAC motor being faulty and letting the engine die when the clutch is disengaged (happens often when the speedo is not working...I think they are on the same circuit). If this is the case, I'm not sure how far you will get, but if it can be proven that Ford should NOT have tied the IAC in with other items on the same circuit, then you might get somewhere. You will have to do some research and learn the control systems on the car fairly well to get somewhere. Also, remember you are going to be fighting corporate lawyers of the biggest kind. Good luck...let us know how it goes...

Eric

·
Registered
176 Posts
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think it will cost you more in the long run, but good luck;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
GT02Nate said:
ok, after 10 days of interacting with the not-so-intelligent staff at ford consumer's office, i finally received a letter (that would take 2 days, 7 at most) to the address i told them NOT to send it to. lol. it said they would not take responsibility for the accident because there was no police report (first, i didn't want a ticket (which i would've been issued), and two, what kind of cop knows about IAC problems in 99+ gt's). they said insurance company's usually see if the case is worth taking up. that's very sweet of ford to offer me advice on sueing them. :rolleyes: i AM going to talk with my insurance company about the problem, and if they can't help me, then i will file a suit against ford for damage to my car and any difference in insurance rates due to their faulty equipment.

has anyone got any info for me about the problem with gt's, know about class action suits (i've printed 110 pages of people on mustang forums with 99+ gt's with this problem), or have advice in taking ford to court?

email: [email protected]

thanks,
nate
Did anyone get hurt? You will have a better case if it involves personal injuries.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
BlitzkriegMS_2 said:
I assume you are talking about the IAC motor being faulty and letting the engine die when the clutch is disengaged (happens often when the speedo is not working...I think they are on the same circuit).
Very interesting. I've had the car die before a few times, but with the speedo working, and the car coasting after taking it out of gear.

Anyways, I had gotten a dyno-tune, and this compensated for my 4.10 gears (Fordchip.com). Anyways, I retained the SpeedCal in the car until it could get taken out. So, naturally, the computer was overriden by the SpeedCal, and I had no speedo or odometer for a while.

Anyways, I didn't have my car for a month or so for certain reasons unrelated to this. Well, when I finally got it back and drove it, it died 3 times that evening in about 2 hours. The following day, the SpeedCal was removed, and with about 40 minutes of driving, the car never died once.

Sure, it could be a coincidence, but I think you could be on to something. It just sparked my interest. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
even my 2000 GT I experience very very poor idle. My brothers 1999 cobra's idle is perfect, no fluctuation. But my idle goes anywhere from 500-1100 and I hate it. Sometimes i have to rev it up when it gets down to like 400-500 just so it doesnt die. what a pain.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
As BlitzkriegMS_2 said, you'll be fighting corporate lawyers. Think about this for a minute.

Ford has lawyers on staff. That means they pay them whether they are drinking coffee as they discuss the last Detroit game, or they are working on defending against a lawsuit.

You, on the other hand, will have to pay a lawyer for every minute that they work on your case (unless you can find someone who will do it just for a %age of the settlement, a BIG %age of the settlement. And that %age will be determined AFTER they take out their generous fees from the settlement for the time they claim they spent. So you might end up with peanuts, while the lawyers end up with Dom Perigion.

And even if you DO win, Ford will appeal the verdict and tie it up in the courts for years. I'm NOT saying you won't win, just that it will be very expensive and may take a lifetime.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Ive had the stalling/dying problem on my 03. My 01 was a POS and i won my case and got Ford to take it back and give me another one. Its a different case but i might be able to help you. Check your email.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Forget it man, it may take time to heal a broken heart after your Stang has been hurt so badly, but revenge will not make that pain go away. Now is a good time to start the healing process. The longer you hold on to vengful thoughts, the longer it will take to heal. :confused: :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Please report this accident to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The webisite is nhtsa.gov. I believe there is a link to a hotline you can call. You can even look up complaints of owners of the same vehicle. There are enough Mustang owners to justify a complaint and action if everyone banded together who has this problem. They may be able to offer you some advice on how to handle it legally. I'd contact them before contacting an attorney. Although, without an accident report, it may be more difficult. My '99 auto had similar symptoms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'd be representing myself (with jury), and my dad is an attorney, i don't think he is helping me, but i know SOME stuff, thanks for all the support, i'll let y'all know what happens as it unfolds

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
It's a great feature that Ford put into the car ..... it's called go down the beltway and see if you can stop once the car shuts down on you. I had it happen to me at the track.... imagine 110+ mph and the car stalls out. It's pretty exciting actually trying to pull the E-Brake and see how fast you can react, not to mention it gets your heart rated really pumpin. LMAO.

Ford ---- quality #1 Yes perhaps back in the day..... I'm not so sure about that "quality" in this day and age though :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Based on this issue alone, I think I've finally made up my mind to not buy another Mustang this year. I love the car, but hate the quality control/safety issues. :( Maybe a year or so after the next generation comes out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wouldn't sway away from buying a Mustang just because of a few problems you see here on the boards. The % of people with GT's with no problems compared to these you see are very small. Maybe .1% or something. And not just Mustangs have problems. My wife's 2002 GTi has been back for warranty work about 8 times!!!!!! My next door neighbors new Acura SUV has been to the dealership more than a half a dozen times. My brother's 2002 Nissan Maxima is a candidate for "lemon law". So all cars will have these problems. So don't just base your buy on that. I have had no problems like these. And have had absolutely no problems with stock parts. The only problems I've had have been related to my modifications:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I couldn't have said it better BoostedGT. All cars have problems. IMO, the Mustang is a very good car compared to some of the other models Ford is producing right now.
I do agree that the IAC valve issues should have been resolved by now.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
The IAC probem seems to occur on other fords as well as mustangs. My buddies contour svt had the same thing. I never really looked at it as more than a nuisance-about every 75k, mine needs cleaning. Mine acts up when you first start the car. If you can get it to idle, it will work for the rest of the drive. Sounds like yours died suddenly and you got into an accident? Bottom line is the problem has been around for a while and ford should have fixed it by now.
Erich

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree that all cars have problems, but my '99 Mustang GT had more than I would consider normal or acceptable. I expect problems with all mechanical objects, but when you have owned or have friends that own a Toyota or a Honda that has never been in the shop, its discouraging. The fact that Ford hasn't fixed a safety issue after 4 years of production that resulted in an accident doesn't inspire confidence. I don't know if this car was the one or not, but the problem shouldn't occur in a car that is only 4 months old.

My Mustang was in the over 30 times during ownership for the following issues.

3 seatbacks that creaked like an old recliner when you leaned back
3 blower moters that sounded like a hamster wheel
Bad drivers door hinge
Oil-smell coming through the vents - never fixed.
Defective torque conterter that required the regional engineer to authorize replacement.
Bad steering rack
Cruise control cable recall
A structural issue with a torque box that took a week to diagnose and fix. Everytime I took off from a stop it creaked. It required welding the box and car was only a week old.
Defective trunk seal.
Hood hard to close that eventually cracked the paint and was never fixed.
I never took it in for the stalling issue, because I knew they wouldn't find it.
I'm sure I missed another trip.

When the warranty was out I dumped it. I want another one because believe it or not, I miss it, but I don't miss the inconvience and embarassment of the numerous trips to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts