Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around at options other than using a borrowed tripod and ratchet strap tie-down for getting in-car video. I'd also love to have the option of taking out of car video thus why I'm asking about suction cup mounts.

Anyone have some firsthand experience with such a thing? I'd also like to know what would be considered an acceptable secondary tethering system.

ps: BTW, this is for autocross speeds and for a lightweight point 'n shoot camera that does video.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If I didn't have a MiniDV camcorder (JVC something or other) and a small point 'n shoot (Panasonic DMC-LZ7) in my possession, I'd consider a GoPro.
So, I'm in the market for a Swedish peni...er suction cup camera mount.

I'm thinking the easiest solution for a strong tethering setup would be to get a small c-clamp, drill a hole in it for a length of small braided steel wire (maybe heat-shrink wrapped to protect the paint?), a doggie leash latch at the camera end and some crimps. I was hoping someone had tread this path.

ps: I am aware of the in-car video setup thread on c-c.com (did a quick search and got myself up to speed) and have some clues for mounts now. I was more curious about tethers...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be too (what was a $300 camera is now skittering and bouncing across a parking lot) and want to minimize that from happening.

http://www.filmtools.com/carmounts.html

First thing that popped up when I typed "Suction Cup Camera Mounts" into Google but I don't see any tethering system (really confident of the vacuum holding ability?).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I mentioned, I know about the c-c.com in-car video thread. My question was aimed more at what people are doing about tethering their cameras in case of potential failure of the suction cup. The more expensive mounts have a tell-tale to show when the vacuum is compromised but the cheaper ones don't ergo my interest in tethering methods.

·
Registered
780 Posts
a length of small braided steel wire (maybe heat-shrink wrapped to protect the paint?) I was more curious about tethers...
Semi-hijack, as I had the the same questions to pose, but also, where do you guys fix the mount to on the inside? Headrest, windshield, :confused:?

You know, when I first read this post, (after a laugh), I thought I read, "small steel chain". Now I was all ready to suggest using a small cable, which after reading again, sounds like your idea. But how bout this, I was thinking more on the lines of a plastic coated cable, very similar to type that come (or were coated) in hood pin kits. Those cables may even work with minimal modifications, as they usually come with one or both ends looped, or an eyelet at one end. Just a thought, or .......I may be way off base.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Semi-hijack, as I had the the same questions to pose, but also, where do you guys fix the mount to on the inside? Headrest, windshield, :confused:?
I use a mount on the roll bar like below, although mine is OOOOOLD and doesn't have the urethane bumper. It's just a big clamshell that you turn a wing-lever to grasp the bar.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
579 Posts
FWIW, the single cup mount like the one with the GoPro and the PAM10 mount sticks very, very well to the car. We sell a lot of both types and I haven't heard of one failure (not very scientific, I know :))

Back to the original question, how about a plastic coated cable to a second suction cup?

DaveW

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a Wood's Power Grip suction mount that works well. I use it with a JVC Mini DV; it weighs about 1 ib. I have had the mount all over the car, roof, front & rear, right & left fenders. I use the shoulder strap that came with the camera as a tether strap.

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've been checking out some of the commercially available camera mounts and it looks like the tether material of choice is nylon or polypropylene strapping. Light, strong (enough) and won't scratch paint.

I bought a kit with an assortment of cheap accessories but I think I'm going to get something like "The Cleat" with a vacuum tell-tale for piece of mind if I take lots of "cone cam" video.

It is really neat to finally get to play around with mounting a camera on the rear of the car and seeing just how much the rear suspension moves while travelling. Not shocking but surprising none the less.

I got some funny looks yesterday when I test drove the car to the bank and back with the camera stuck to the window and pointed into the cockpit. :rofl:

I can just imagine what the people's thoughts were.

Anyhow, thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
There was a 1/4 panel cam/vid on here not too long ago that showed just how much side to side movement a 100,000+ mile Mustang rear end had. :lol: I swear, in a curve that thing was moving at least 3" left/right of center. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brrr. That's just bad.

I didn't know just how much the rear wiggled around with the 4 link but I held off on the 9" wheels and 275 width tires until I had the panhard bar in the car. I guess it was a good decision in hindsight. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyone know of any good dash/windshield/other in car mounts? I found the sticky pod (can't post links wtf) but are there any cheaper alternatives?

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
579 Posts
I am obviously biased towards what I sell....

ChaseCam 3 cup mount: http://www.soloperformance.com/ChaseCam-3-Cup-Suction-Camera-Mount_p_86.html

HAMA Mount (very expensive, don't sell many of these): http://www.soloperformance.com/IO-Port-Racing-Hama-Suction-Camera-Mount_p_313.html

Panavise 809 SIngle Cup Mount: http://www.soloperformance.com/PANAVISE-Single-Cup-Heacy-Duty-Camera-Mount_p_1551.html

We sold StickyPod for a while. Unless you have a really heavy camera, it is just overkill for the money.

HTH,

DaveW

·
Registered
186 Posts
There was a 1/4 panel cam/vid on here not too long ago that showed just how much side to side movement a 100,000+ mile Mustang rear end had. :lol: I swear, in a curve that thing was moving at least 3" left/right of center. :rofl:
You may be referring to one of my old videos, I took it down but I'll put it back up tonight for ####s and giggles, there are bits and pieces of it in here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT6J-jBXTeE

·
Registered
20 Posts
some organizations do not allow suction cup camera mounts, particularly when you're on a road course. it's something to consider.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fortunately (or unfortunately), there are no road courses in my neck of the woods.

Specifically the organizations you've run with, Karuso. Is the ban on suction cup mounts all encompassing or just outside or just inside?

The club that I autocross with doesn't have a rule present for suction cup mounting outside the vehicle and mandatory tethering during regular events but will have something in place for one intra-provincial event it will host later this year and thus why I was asking about some acceptable methods of tethering a suction cup mounted camera.

What the club ultimately decides and the PITA factor will control what I do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts