Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have most of my performance mods now done, now looking to improve my suspension. For all of you who have strut tower braces were they worth the money to you? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Probably not IMHO

·
Registered
101 Posts
IMO not worth it unless you are doing auto x or carving corners on a regular basis.

If you are considering going to coil over you also may want to consider the cross brace.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
As I understand it....

The Fox bodies needed a STB to keep from flexing so bad. When Ford changed to the SN95, they basically structurally enhanced the Fox platform. So the STB is not nearly as needed as it was on earlier mustangs.

Subframe connectors seem to be a different story though...

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK- I'll be different

Definitely YES

Our cars do NOT have a enough tortional rigidity

For you straight line guys - who cares - right

Well for one reason think about how much torque it takes to twist the car that would otherwise go to the rear wheels for acceleration

How do I know - b/c my KB STB nuts work loose and the bolts loose their clamping force so they move around in the bolt holes when cornering and shear then keeps the STB working but its makes noise

I am on the only one that could hear it and has some help finding it from a fellow mustanger

So I tighten the nuts and it goes away - better fix is to upgrade the washers provided with the STB, anyway

If the car wasn't twisting it would not loosen up and make the noise

·
US Air Force Active Duty
168 Posts
JSHTROD said:
As I understand it....

The Fox bodies needed a STB to keep from flexing so bad. When Ford changed to the SN95, they basically structurally enhanced the Fox platform. So the STB is not nearly as needed as it was on earlier mustangs.

So why did the STB come stock in, I believe 97 and a couple other years? I'm sure the only reason they dont put it in anymore is for cost savings and not because a stiffer structure isnt needed.

The rubber platform of the Mustang can use all the reinforcements available IMO.
BTW I'll let you know soon about the differences. I ordered a Steeda STB, should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My 96 cobra came w/ one stock, probably just b/c ford tried to mod them out as much as possible w/ out having a high budget. They only help a little bit on curvy roads,and even more if your car is lowered. I prefer one.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
JMWEEZ said:

So why did the STB come stock in, I believe 97 and a couple other years? I'm sure the only reason they dont put it in anymore is for cost savings and not because a stiffer structure isnt needed.

The rubber platform of the Mustang can use all the reinforcements available IMO.
BTW I'll let you know soon about the differences. I ordered a Steeda STB, should be here tomorrow.
I didn't state that a STB would have no effect. I simply said it isn't as need as the Fox body platform.

At one time I strongly considered adding one to my 98. I did some research, and the experts don't recommend one unless you open track your car. In fact, I can think of much more effective ways of spending $100. Specifically, for subframe connectors.

That's really what I was getting at. For the price of a STB you can have some Subframes, and make a much BETTER improvement for the money.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
168 Posts
JSHTROD said:

I didn't state that a STB would have no effect. I simply said it isn't as need as the Fox body platform.

At one time I strongly considered adding one to my 98. I did some research, and the experts don't recommend one unless you open track your car. In fact, I can think of much more effective ways of spending $100. Specifically, for subframe connectors.

That's really what I was getting at. For the price of a STB you can have some Subframes, and make a much BETTER improvement for the money.
I agree with you, however I think the subframes and STB will compliment each other well, so I got em both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts