Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to remove the top strut nut on my Tokico they are the non adjustable type. It has a slot on the shaft of the strut . Do they make a special socket for an impact gun for this removal?? Hows everyon remove this? Seems like I cant hold the slotted screwdriver to break it free. And in impact gun will just spin the nut and shaft together. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
An impact gun will usually NOT just spin the shaft and nut together, but if you've found that's the case, find something you can put in the slot that gives you more radial leverage while you loosen the nut with a box wrench. Something like a file, a strip of steel, etc etc.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys the impact took it of this time, I sprayedit w/ wd 40 first but they are off now.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
For future reference, unless your nut is rusted on there really good, the impact gun will usually take care of it as long as the suspension is loaded, i.e. there's pressure on the shoulder of the strut shaft against the upper mount to provide friction while you turn the nut with the gun. No load/pressure==spinning shaft.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Just a quick note that removing strut nuts with an impact gun CAN loosen the nut that holds the piston on the rod inside. If it doesn't work the first time, don't sit there spinning and spinning it hoping it will, you'll ruin your struts.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it came off. i did this after speaking to a tech over at Tokico. He said i could if I wanted spin it forever that thers nothign to loosenit. But mine popped right off as soon as i cracked the gun. Thanks again

·
Registered
998 Posts
Glad to hear it worked on the Tokico's. That's not true of all struts though . . .

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
What I'd really like to know is how you're expected to get a specific torque value on the nut when you put everything back together. How the **** do you get a socket torque wrench on that thing AND keep the shaft from spinning? Is there such a thing as a box-end torque wrench?

I just use German torque values for these nuts.

·
Registered
998 Posts
huesmann said:
What I'd really like to know is how you're expected to get a specific torque value on the nut when you put everything back together. How the **** do you get a socket torque wrench on that thing AND keep the shaft from spinning? Is there such a thing as a box-end torque wrench?

I just use German torque values for these nuts.
Yes. There are torque wrenches made specifically for that task that allow the top of the stud to pass through the socket so you can hold it with another wrench while you apply torque.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts