Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Pure negligence, how many young kids went out racing each other on the street after watching that show? After watching grown men street racing. The show is Scripted no doubt, but is a poor example of drag racing.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
It did make a handful of people very rich.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
It made the young'ns run out & race on the streets. It also made the wannabe's spend their entire savings, show up at the drag strips on Sat. nights, and try to compete with those who have sponsors. It didn't happen, then the cars got either wrecked from trying too hard, or sold out of frustration. Many Sunday bracket racers had guys making offers on their cars that were stupid ridiculous amounts of money and sold their stuff too, to the wannabe "street outlaw" guys. So the whole dramatizing of "street outlaw" type racing went to a LOT of peoples' heads, which hurt the hobbiest drag racers-AND probably more importantly, the tracks. Without the track, there is no racing but it can also be said that without the racers, there is no track. Goes both ways.

Some tracks including the local place have done ok with no-prep style races. I finally went to one last year. It was an outlaw style event. Zero prep. Run what you brung and hope you brought enough. I know my car since I've owned/raced it for almost 30 years so I entered and went a few rounds. It was a fun thing for me, I knew it wasn't' going to be competitive since it's just a 700hp bracket car and not much more. But what I saw of the whole no-prep idiocy was not real drag racing. It was a bunch of inexperienced men & women trying to put 2500hp through radials, and subsequently destroying $100,000+ cars. Some of them were just beautiful and rare cars that obviously had a LOT of time and pride put into them, just to get trashed the first night on the track. Several people were hurt, one seriously-such that he'll have issues the rest of his life. All from trying to act like those idiots on TV.

Kinda back to the heads-up style racing, many tracks have tried to set up a "poor boy's" class, where no modifications are permitted. Because of the diversity of the cars today, that didn't go over well. Mommy's Elantra cannot compete with grandpa's Hellcat, well it's not supposed to, but I've seen a NEON (not an R/T either) take out a Hellcat when the driver of the hellcat couldn't drive to save his life. But they were all having fun. The way the rules were written, it permitted no modification to the factory style engine. So a Challenger could drop in a pull out from a Demon and call it "stock" because it was, and therein lies that problem. Cost. What starts out as a great idea soon escalates into a runaway cost effect, and it happens in every single heads-up drag racing class as well as most of the dirt track stuff. So I've taken up a personal challenge to recruit some bracket racers to show up on Sundays with their mommy's Rio. They have just as much of a chance to win as the guy with the 2000hp dragster, and I've seen it happen many times over. But there's no glory in it even if you're winning, as opposed to being idolized by a bunch of punks if one was running and winning a no-prep outlaw event, and part of that is because of the money involved.

Yes some guys made a lot of money, or it would appear that way, but I'm here to tell you...from experience...that those guys didn't start out with zero, they were quite well-off from the get-go and just made their money back. That's the way all racing is. You want to make a million in racing, you better start with 2 million. They want you to think that they did well and they did but they never tell you the entire story.

·
Registered
579 Posts
They are starting some et bracket “street” classes here locally this upcoming season and I can’t wait to see. Unfortunately bracket racing is what give the slow low buck guy a chance against the big power/ money cars. Seems like the heads up stuff usually goes to the guy with the deepest pockets....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
908 Posts
Racing when I was a kid (16 years old) was fun we raced stock s-10s with dodge shadows it was just slow 17sec kids racing in their first cars others would come race us. To us a upgrade was cutting a hole in the air box or pulling the air filter.

Got older and got my first mustang. It was a fast as I could afford (was 18 years old) ran 10.98 at 127-128mph on radials. But was built for the street. I was too fast no one wanted to race on the street but one guy and just to get him to race I had to do everything the way he want so he could win. (This was 0 fun)

So skip ahead years (say 25years old) money isn't really a problem with in reason say $500 a month type budget. I went at it from a different look. I no longer race to beat others just beat my times and bigger dyno numbers on a budget and I have had a blast doing it.

Today (38 years old) I'm going a new direction spending some money $15k-20k to build my true DD with a fun dependable car that I can take to the track on the weekend. We have a new class at out track that is only a true hard tire with a 11sec breakout. Hope to play in it this summer. (Just plan on driving the car more and less working on it but going to enjoy this build)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well said by both you guys. You can always chase faster & better. Like what was said, how about take some satisfaction in what you have done. Think about what it took. The time the tranny rolled of the jack & smashed your friggin hand, (@ 3am when you had to work the next day). And much more of the same. Way to much of this has come down to what other people think. I see where it comes from, with social media, and all the interaction available. I don't "get" it though.
Compared to alot of stuff I've seen on here & elsewhere my car is a turd. I couldn't care less, to me it isn't. Nothing has been done to that car that I haven't done. I sit there at night looking at it, tanking down cold Natty's, and I'm good. I don't care if it's not a 7 second car, or frankly what anybody thinks but me.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Kinda back to the subject, or maybe a little off. This past weekend they held an event locally for bracket racers. It was an off-season event where if enough people paid in advance, they'd open up the track and let us run a bracket style race. No money was paid out. I put the word out as much as I could to different places and we ended up with 41 cars, most of which were just regular street cars like V6 Camaro's, Mustangs, some Nissans, Toyotas, a Tundra with a blower, etc. Couple dedicated bracket cars, though they were not fast--but the cold track doesn't do well with appreciable power. I just took my ''93 coupe with a stock 4 cylinder/5 speed and honestly had as much fun with it as I do with the Maverick. Maybe even more so in a weird sorta way. 1/8 mile. It ran upper 15 sec ET. Slow as Christmas but it was awesome. In the final I had to run against a 16 Carmaro SS. He had to sit there a while, but it didn't matter since mine rolled in and went red-giving the race to him.

I'm telling you, I may hang up the Maverick's keys for a while and bracket race the little turd coupe some more. Later as the season gets going, I think it's possible to win a few events which would easily pay what I have invested into the entire car.

One thing worth noting, even the track owner was ecstatic that everyone was having a great time. He is a good friend of mine and when I see him & the wife smiling, that's a good thing-because they don't get to have much fun anymore since most of the crowds (saturday heads up racers) are entirely too serious about their fun, taking our their frustrations on the track owners for whatever reasons.

I honestly think that if folks would focus on the fun part more, as opposed to the seriousness of an award winning program, the numbers at the track might improve on regular race days.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I really don't care for the show. It is a lot of manufactured reality show drama. At least they got rid of the stupid segments where "we got to do a test hit before the cops show up" with the canned clips of cop cars and sirens. That was some of the dumbest stuff on television, which is saying a lot.

Todd, your statement is timely to me as some of the best racing I have had in the past two years has been racing a junkyard Tbird Supercoupe. This is a 1989 Supercoupe, with a manual tranny and just about every possible bit of weight removed. We took a plasma cutter to the car.

Thunder Valley Raceway Park in Noble, OK is the home track for all the Street Outlaws guys. It is a fantastic track in its own right, outside of the show. Just a great venue all the way around with a great crew and owner. For the past couple of years they ran a Junkyard Wars series of events where your car was supposed to cost no more than $500. There were several classes such as Spray and Pray, Forced Induction and NA. It was run on a sportsman tree and heads up ladder. The idea was run what you brung based on the honor system. No one believes it when someone says they found some serious piece of race equipment for free. The idea was that the cars are real junk worth $500. Not what was paid, actual worth.

Anyway, I ran this Tbird in this event and won my class a few times. It is some of the best racing because ingenuity is what counts and if things break everyone just laughs about it and figures out a way to wing it. Some of the supercharged cars were going 12s. The track has not ran the series for 2018-2019, I don't think it was all that profitable for them.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Haven’t been to the drag strip in prob fifteen years.

Street outlaws is a terrible show. So scripted it’s silly.

Current cars, stock, are crazy fast. Amazing how far newer cars have come in last 20 years. I just enjoy the cobra for Sunday drives and such. What money I spent modifying the cobra, I spend modifying our travel trailer and my truck for easier towing. A whole lot cheaper to go that route.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It also brings up the question of what a "street" car is.

Do a pair of slicks make a Prius a drag car?

Or do functional headlights make a pro mod a street car?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i sure do like the payouts tho. in march they are doing one at the local track and it's 10k to win big tire and 10k to win small tire.... it's one of jj's armdrops.... if i can find a set of small tires i'll probably try to enter both classes. i know i may be a little underpowered for the faster cars (2500hp tuneup) but it's my home track and i can get down it no problem.. a to b pass. i may chunk in the bigger pullies and really throw some boost at this ol junk pile if i can get my bigger fuel system together by then. going to a 990 pump and mag 44. running the 80A now with a msd 20 amp mag.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Several of the guys from the Memphis Street Outaws showed up at one of our local tracks a couple of months ago to race on a 'no prep' track. LOL! They obviously have never raced on an Alabama dragstrip. Even when a Alabama drag strip is 'prepped', it's still slicker than anything they had ever raced on with no prep. Needless to say a few of them when home with trashed cars, and the lucky ones couldn't make a clean pass.

I didn't even go to the race because I knew it was going to be a packed out nightmare. Which it was.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It also brings up the question of what a "street" car is.

Do a pair of slicks make a Prius a drag car?

Or do functional headlights make a pro mod a street car?

I found out years ago the definition of a 'street car' is actually an excuse the loser uses.

A street car is defined by how deep your pockets are. A person with enough money could build a 10,000 horsepower car and afford drive it anywhere.

·
US Army Retired
5,312 Posts
Yea, screw anything that brings any attention to the hobby and breaths some life into it.

Kids street raced before this, will do after this
When it comes to the automotive hobby there has always been a load of dmfs around
Guys with more money than brains have been building and breaking cars forever

Anything new? No

I used to be a long haired young punk with a loud car that vibrated the pictures off walls and set off nearby car alarms. Now, I'm just an old punk with short grey hair and more of a budget with a loud car that vibrates pictures off the wall and sets off nearby car alarms.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You do have to admit that it brought a whole new vib to racing. The heads up racing is alive again with big money. Nhra pro classes are all cookie cutter .

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
See, now there's posts that follow my line of thinking. If it brings attention to the hobby, if it makes more folks want to get into building drag race cars, how is that a bad thing? Can't complain that the way of life is dying and in the next sentence complain about a show (series of shows now) that are breathing life into said car hobby.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts