Ford Mustang Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
My current 363 stroker setup with the 5 speed has been my favorite to date, it makes around 575 HP at the crank and still has AC, PS, and hydro boost brakes. Since converting to EFI the car is insanely responsive and fun to drive on the street with the stick. Fire up and go and no hassles and cruises great. I have had and built everything from 300 HP 302's, NA and blown to now this stroker, in my 25 years of experience in the Mustang hobby I have talked to many other street Foxbody guys and most say a 450-650 HP street car is all in the fun and reliable range of performance for a Fox. Once you venture much out of this range the cars become pretty track oriented, require a lot of chassis and suspension work, or are maintenance hogs from a clutch, trans, tires perspective and are a real handful to drive on the street when your on it.

Keep it simple a high reving stroker 347-427 cubic inch thats NA is super reliable, fast and is a riot to drive on the street with a stick when properly geared. Good luck with your project

·
Registered
21 Posts
Currently my 363 stroker, t56 magnum,
On 93 and water/meth with 20LBS from a Vortech YSI making over 700rwhp on a soft tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
21 Posts
Currently my 363 stroker, t56 magnum,
On 93 and water/meth with 20LBS from a Vortech YSI making over 700rwhp on a soft tune.

No regrets but if I change anything it would be to go auto trans!!

·
Registered
1978 Mercury ZephyrZ7 306 intercooledTwin turbo , 1984 Ford LTD wagon 302 w/nitrous outlet x series
13 Posts
Thus far I'd have to go with my current twin turbo car, I'm not one of these guys that's had a ton of foxbodys even though I have two now, I tend to keep stuff forever. Lotsa guys here have the love for the 363 so since I'm about to assemble one I hope it makes my ride even more fun.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
My 306 with with all the goodies that made 330rwhp back in 2004 ran It 11.70s and I could drive it anywhere left NC went to Georgia picked up my grandad took him to a family event in Florida then back home and me back to NC as an example. Got very decent mileage during hwy driving very docile until you wanted to bring the noise.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've only had one Fox body, and it's only gone 3 builds... but I have had it for 28 years.
First build was stock with the exception of gears and exhaust... that thing was a blast, 12.9's with crappy air, 234hp/292tq at the wheels. Reliably as anything out there, and pretty quick for the day.
Second build was a budget run at ported stock heads/intakes and a nifty hydro cam/stock lifters/FoMoCo 1.7's... made 292hp/325tq and was quite fun, but, never got to the track.
Final build is well done "stock" heads, and, pretty spiffy everything else (4bolt, light rotating assembly, solid roller/shaft rocker, and everything you would associate with that)... 306.. (368/363 at the wheels) with 4.56 rear gear.
It's a gas.
Yes, I've have driven a 840hp Fox 9way back when that was unheard of), that was really well sorted (to the point of being daily driver) and it was pretty dang neat... and crazy fast... but for street duty... I prefer a little less HP (tires hook), a little more "presence/nostalgia" (solid roller N/A makes a neat noise)... and I'm not hesitant for my wife (bit of a girly-girl) to drive it.

If I'm totally honest, my favorite street car from my exposure/experience is my 2019 jeep SRT... only runs 13.3 in 3800' air, but, dang is that thing a blast.
And, it'd likely go into the 12's with decent air... which brings me right back to by ultra reliable "stock" Fox from back in the day.
Why did I ever mess that recipe up?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've owned 7 Mustangs from a 68 to a 2015. Two with Vortechs, two strokers, and all manuals. My current sled is the most fun. Completely gutted 88 tipping the scales at a little over 2800lbs, with full Griggs suspension and a 331N/A making 380 to the wheels. Power to weight makes it a blast to drive, but it's not making so much power that I worry about splitting a block

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
36 Posts
As far as a fox chassis, I loved my old 79 Mercury Zeypher Z-7. I had a slightly warmed over 302 with a weiand intake and a 600 Holley, headers duals, nothing like you guys are talking about, but I did also have a full 86 mustang GT suspension under it with the old 10 hole wheels on it and a black primer paint job!! Gandolf didn't look like much but I could give the punks with their Z-28 fits between redlights!! They never knew what hit em!! Then life happened and I had to let it go. But I finally got me a Mustang like I've always wanted! It's a 90 LX with a 351M and a C6.... Yeh go ahead and laugh... It came that way when I got it but hey sometimes you gotta work with what you got eh? Ppl laughed at me in old Gandolf back in the late 80's too!! FWIW, I had a 429 back when I had Gandolf, but it's disappeared thru time.. I might wind up going the big block route on Cherry Bomb since it's mostly set up for one already!!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts