Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a manual glide and the Whipple has a 3.5"x5" single blade oval TB. It's super easy and smooth to drive around:

Great build Alex. Essentially the same future plans I have for my buick (but with different engine/power adder). 9's and easy to street drive, unthinkable a decade ago. Well done!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I recently came across a similar post (from 2010) for street/strip cars and feel like I learned a ton reading through every post. Instead of bringing that post back to life I thought it would be fun to make one just for street engine builds. I'm in the process of deciding on a short block that will be 100% street driven.

It can be 302, 331, 408 etc; Tell me what you enjoyed driving on the street, if you have regrets and or would do something differently. GO!
I’ve had numerous combos.
Best ever is an L&R Engine 331 with AFR 165s. Comp XE270, Longtubes, off-road H. T5, 3:55 m, Eaton diff. Stock Cobra intake, injectors, computer with a dyno tune. Fun and reliable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1991 triple black convertible
331 Eagle crank and rods, JE pistons, 9.5:1 CR
AFR 185 heads, Comp 284HR cam, Harland Sharp 1.6 roller rockers, GT-40 intake
Tweecer RT
Vortech V-2SQ air to water aftercooled
Basani Exhaust
T-56, 3.55 gears
Old school Baer M2300K killer brake set, Konig rims, KYB adjustable shocks/struts, MMR progressive springs, full length subframes

Vortech SQ sounded like my power steering pump was thinking about going out... Made 425 horses through a 750 carb, no S\C.
'Friend' of mine spun it on the freeway and damaged just about every panel right before I went to Iraq the second time, spent a LOT of tax free paychecks getting it back running again. Needed some bodywork and paint, but damn that car went. Had a lot of local folks seriously underestimate it.
Ended up hating having a convertible, but man, that thing punched out of the hole, had a good stereo, and would cruise quite comfortably on the freeway at 80 with no issues and the AC on.
My ex made me get rid of it for stupid cheap. Shoulda kept the car since we split anyway...

Reactions: thadude

·
Registered
215 Posts
Most fun I had was a very simple street build from years ago. Was in my 86, DSS 306 with Edelbrock rpms, cobra intake, e303, t5, 3.73s and an old compucar 150hp wet shot. It was a big block killer! Just the motor made 350hp at the wheels and went 120mhp on street tires NO NITROUS.
Simple, cheap to build and fun. A GREAT weekend warrior in a light weight fox body

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Most fun I had was a very simple street build from years ago. Was in my 86, DSS 306 with Edelbrock rpms, cobra intake, e303, t5, 3.73s and an old compucar 150hp wet shot. It was a big block killer! Just the motor made 350hp at the wheels and went 120mhp on street tires NO NITROUS.
Simple, cheap to build and fun. A GREAT weekend warrior in a light weight fox body
I’d think 350whp with an e303 on a 306 would be a world record.

·
Registered
215 Posts
120 mhp in the 1/4 @ 3500 lbs with driver. You can do that math if you’d like? Nitrous was NOT working that day on 16” 255 50 street tires. I’ve been in this game since the 90s. It was a great WORKING combo.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
120 mhp in the 1/4 @ 3500 lbs with driver. You can do that math if you’d like? Nitrous was NOT working that day on 16” 255 50 street tires. I’ve been in this game since the 90s. It was a great WORKING combo.
Track said MPH or your speedo said 120?

·
Registered
215 Posts
You’re that guy aren’t you? There’s always that one in that group, and you’re it. Your math is off and I didn’t bring the “exact” to the point numbers to the table. To be honest, I cut myself short with numbers and went over weight. The “exact weight 3275”. The exact mph “120” in the 1/4. Horsepower comes from how much air and fuel you can move from point A to point B through the motor. Compression helps drastically with this as does having everything you have working together. My compression was 10.5:1 by the way just so the original poster knows.
The original poster on this thread wanted 100% streetable combos that worked. I posted mine as did others. Im not trying to turn this into a pissing match but I hate being called a liar

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes str8, it was a grudge night event. I drove it 2 hours to the track while following a trailered friend. Has my bottles ready but was having issues with crap cutting out so I never got the nitrous to work. I ran a total of “about” 8 times (that guys watching my numbers) and it ran from 113mhp-120mhp @ 3275lbs (with driver). Street tires hence no hooking up were the reasons for inconsistency in mhp

·
Registered
749 Posts
3,275 lbs and 120 mph is still 436 crank horsepower. With an E303 and Edelbrock RPMs that seems very unlikely. It isn't like it matters, you liked the combo and you remember it fondly. Maybe just a little too fondly? lol

As far as the subject of the thread, I really like an old combo I had that was pretty killer on the street because of traction. It was a S-trim pullied for about 15 psi, DSS 306, Anderson B4 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, out of the box Street Heat heads with 1.94/1.60 valves, a Downs box intake on a GT40 lower, Tremec 5 speed and all of the supporting parts. I liked this combo because the box intake would kill the torque down low so the car would hook well but on the top end the faster you spun it, the harder it pulled. It was lazy where you needed it to be and very long winded up top if you needed to chase someone down for the win. I'd love to have this setup again in a Fox body but with some more modern parts.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh and a fair heads up but I’m sure you are well aware of it already, T5’s aren’t worth the headache. I went through 7. From broken 3rd gears (most of the time) to broken input shafts to broken 5th gear. I’ve rebuilt plenty of T5’s and they just can’t handle any fun power. And yes, not even World Class T5’s hold up. If you like to shift do yourself a favor and get a Tremec. If you’re an automatic guy and want the best street bang for your buck, Lenco AOD’s are hands down the best in my opinion. I have had built c4’s which are great, but on the highway it’s nice to have that overdrive

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yes str8, it was a grudge night event. I drove it 2 hours to the track while following a trailered friend. Has my bottles ready but was having issues with crap cutting out so I never got the nitrous to work. I ran a total of “about” 8 times (that guys watching my numbers) and it ran from 113mhp-120mhp @ 3275lbs (with driver). Street tires hence no hooking up were the reasons for inconsistency in mhp
Man if your happy good deal. But I don't think the OP needs to think a E cam 306 can make 400+ hp NA.

Reactions: EvilGooses

·
Registered
215 Posts
It worked. Hell I may even have a time slip or two or three still in my tool box from that night just so the skeptics can see. I know “that guy” might try and call bs again but it is what it is. As for that 306, I still have it on the shelf, three broken ring landings later but I still have it. The heads (now ported out completely) and that record breaking e303 (not an F303 or X or Z) are both in a friends 88 Saleen and still run great to this date even though that’s just a show car. I also still have my 86. Since the 306 is no longer in it, a 331 has since replaced it with a YS.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It worked. Hell I may even have a time slip or two or three still in my tool box from that night just so the skeptics can see. I know “that guy” might try and call bs again but it is what it is. As for that 306, I still have it on the shelf, three broken ring landings later but I still have it. The heads (now ported out completely) and that record breaking e303 (not an F303 or X or Z) are both in a friends 88 Saleen and still run great to this date even though that’s just a show car. I also still have my 86. Since the 306 is no longer in it, a 331 has since replaced it with a YS.
Funny you say that because now that I think about it, I have that DSS 306 shortblock from the combo I described in my post too. It has been sitting in my garage for almost 20 years now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It worked great man. I love tuning my own stuff and pushing the limits to it. Only reason it broken three pistons was because I decided 2 bottles every weekend was getting expensive so I put a supercharger on it. 13lbs and not running on the correct pump/race gas later now it sits. Balanced, blueprinted and zero decked... upset many brand X guys over time. It paid for itself just to see their faces when you say it’s just a 302

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You’re that guy aren’t you? There’s always that one in that group, and you’re it. Your math is off and I didn’t bring the “exact” to the point numbers to the table. To be honest, I cut myself short with numbers and went over weight. The “exact weight 3275”. The exact mph “120” in the 1/4. Horsepower comes from how much air and fuel you can move from point A to point B through the motor. Compression helps drastically with this as does having everything you have working together. My compression was 10.5:1 by the way just so the original poster knows.
The original poster on this thread wanted 100% streetable combos that worked. I posted mine as did others. Im not trying to turn this into a pissing match but I hate being called a liar
I don’t know why you get all butthurt when I question those numbers.
Yesterday my buddy ran 120mph 1/4 with an e303, while on 10.9lbs of boost, with performer rpms and a Systemax 2. And his car weighs about 3200lbs with him in it. I just have a tough time thinking an n/a 306 will do the same thing.

Reactions: 90M7LSC

·
Registered
20 Posts
I get how every dyno is different but my previous 306 with Eddy’s heads and RPM II intake made 310RW.
Custom grind cam and ported lower intake it made 330RW on the same dyno.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I get how every dyno is different but my previous 306 with Eddy’s heads and RPM II intake made 310RW.
Custom grind cam and ported lower intake it made 330RW on the same dyno.
Yeah my 331 pretty much dyno's 330 rwhp with Edelbrock performer heads, RPM 2, and xe274hr comp cam. It's a very fun and streetable car. However it would be awesome if my car trapped 120 mph, but I know that's not possible without nitrous or boost with this setup. Not knocking the other guys post, but maybe he just miss remember's his cars performance.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts