Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
For me my last build was the most fun. 90 Saleen clone. AOD, 352 stroker, a lot of engine mods and single 76mm turbo. Made 900hp at 15psi. 100% street car. On 255/50/16 drag radial(street tires) ran 9.41 at 149mph @3500lbs with limited traction. Was very reliable. Pretty much just pull changes.
Hopefully in a few weeks I can report back that my new twin turbo setup is the most fun for me. :)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
The last setup - Dart 365/Whipple/Glide 3.08 gears. Mostly because it was the fastest. Bringing 80 lbs of ice to the track sucked though (I drive it to the track - there's a large cooler in the trunk). But with a street tune it's just brutal, but can be driven gently and with 3.08 gears it's plenty street friendly - more so than the AOD/3.73s I had before.

The next thing is an electric Vortech on the same enigne/drivetrain. If I can get it into the 9's, the electric blower will stay on the car, if not - not sure yet. BTW - E85 isn't easily available here - we've got to make everything work with real pump gas. Makes things a bit harder.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
How much HP is it making just wondering how much was too much?
made 608 on the engine dyno. Many say that's just right for a street car, and it might be--IF the vehicle it's in has electronic throttle controls, fully automatic transmission, etc etc. Jerky cable-driven throttle with large throttle body, etc, it's just not that much fun to cruise in. That said, I'm in the process of tuning it and some of it will improve. During the process, I'm having the worst time fiiguring out why the left side of the engine reads leaner than the right side at closed and part throttle. It's got some weird stuff going on but at full throttle it runs fine if you've got the nads to run it out to 6500 or so. First, second, and third are mostly useless, then in fourth the speeds get into triple digits quickly, and these roads out here aren't condusive to that kind of speed. That's why the 4 cylinder car is so much fun. Plenty of spirit to put you into the seat, but handles well enough to be a lot of fun in the hills (which is the entire western half of the state-where I live). My daily drive consists of curvy backroads and 2 hills, one is 430' from bottom to top, the other well over 1000'. The nice thing about the 427 is that it makes enough torque to climb both without downshifting even at 1500 RPM, but the 4 cyl is on the floor.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
made 608 on the engine dyno. Many say that's just right for a street car, and it might be--IF the vehicle it's in has electronic throttle controls, fully automatic transmission, etc etc. Jerky cable-driven throttle with large throttle body, etc, it's just not that much fun to cruise in. That said, I'm in the process of tuning it and some of it will improve. During the process, I'm having the worst time fiiguring out why the left side of the engine reads leaner than the right side at closed and part throttle. It's got some weird stuff going on but at full throttle it runs fine if you've got the nads to run it out to 6500 or so. First, second, and third are mostly useless, then in fourth the speeds get into triple digits quickly, and these roads out here aren't condusive to that kind of speed. That's why the 4 cylinder car is so much fun. Plenty of spirit to put you into the seat, but handles well enough to be a lot of fun in the hills (which is the entire western half of the state-where I live). My daily drive consists of curvy backroads and 2 hills, one is 430' from bottom to top, the other well over 1000'. The nice thing about the 427 is that it makes enough torque to climb both without downshifting even at 1500 RPM, but the 4 cyl is on the floor.
Well said, after having five something rwhp I really think 400hp/400tq rwhp is ideal for the fox chassis.

Your turbo 4 seems like a blast

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well said, after having five something rwhp I really think 400hp/400tq rwhp is ideal for the fox chassis.

Your turbo 4 seems like a blast
I'm finding that many people found a stockish/mild build the most fun/reliable/streetable. 400 hp might be the sweet spot.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My current combo was purpose built to be a street car. I have succeeded in many respects but there is room for improvement. The engine is N/A 351W run by A9L EEC-IV. GT40 tubular intake GT40 cast iron heads with Cobra roller rockers. The camshaft is stock mustang HO. TR 3550 manual transmission in front of a Cobra independent rear suspension. 87 octane all day long and it pulls hard enough that I need a new clutch.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Not my car, but I had a buddy that put together a 306 with GT40P heads, Cobra intake and a B303 cam around 20 years ago. With a 5-spd, 3.08's and full exhaust, it was a fun, peppy street car.

My own combo was put together for the purpose of 100% street duty and not to make Max HP. I hope it's a nice torquey motor that's fun to drive on the street. Just a 302-based shortblock, the TFS170's, Tmoss ported explorer intake and a custom grind cam by ed where I asked for torque and streetability. Can't wait to see how it runs. It's it's somewhere around 325-350 crank HP i'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
My current combo was purpose built to be a street car. I have succeeded in many respects but there is room for improvement. The engine is N/A 351W run by A9L EEC-IV. GT40 tubular intake GT40 cast iron heads with Cobra roller rockers. The camshaft is stock mustang HO. TR 3550 manual transmission in front of a Cobra independent rear suspension. 87 octane all day long and it pulls hard enough that I need a new clutch.
That sounds like a great combo, basically a Saleen S351 but with better rear suspension.

This thread needs more pictures

·
Registered
20 Posts
HCI and a small supercharger by far. Not even close. I get the appeal of turbo cars. But i don't care for all the heat problems and intercoolers and all that.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I'd really like to do a smooth /stable idle V8 turbo someday, however packaging it is the biggest hurdle. I am thinking 4.6 or 5.4, maybe 700hp at the most. Ain't hard, just getting it all in there and still retaining a/c, etc is the challenge. I know a coyote will do it and then some but coyote stuff is still far too expensive for me.

When I bought the coupe (original 2.3/5 speed) I told myself that it was going to be a 4 cylinder for at least as long as I own it. And it still is. It isn't really fast, although it is fun. I'm pretty much at the limit as to what the stock computer and VAM will support so if I did anything else with it, it would have to go standalone efi and a bunch of other mods (head porting, cam, pistons, rods, etc) and at that point on a Lima 2.3 you're talking a couple grand just in getting the stuff together. It can happen, but I would almost consider pulling a junkyard 2.3 EB out of a newer car and going that route. 350hp is a walk in the park, and honestly would be PLENTY for a little lightweight coupe. That's been in the back of my mind forever.

On my 92 GT, originally I had a 5.4 navi engine that I got for $50. It actually ran; on 7 cylinders. I had it in the engine bay and was planning on using it, til I found out that the intake is no good and Sullivan is about the only game in town for aftermarket, then figure in $1500 worth of camshafts and a bunch of money for 32 valves, 32 springs, 64 keepers, chains, all the rest of the stuff to "build" it, and thats when I put the pen to the paper and figured a mild 408 would run just as well if not better and for about 1/3 the cost. Unfortunately it became a 427" by mistake which has been documented in other posts. I wasn't really going for "that" much power (450 would've been fine) but it is what it is, the car is together and the painter did a nice job on it, better than expected honestly, interior came out nice, so that's what I have and is what I'm gonna work with. EFI has issues that I can't pinpoint (yet) but I enjoy working with it when I can. The little 2.3 was a bear at first getting the intercooler to fit (stinger) but it's in, it works, and doesn't seem to give me many problems other than a little oil spray under higher boost around the valve cover breather can, which I'm trying to figure out what to do with. I drive it daily, mostly comfortably although the hot summer days really aren't that enjoyable. There is no clearcoat left on the paint and it's blue and it sits out in the sun all day long when I'm at work, so the heat inside the car is tough to get rid of even with properly working a/c. I've seen it well over 200 degrees F inside the car if I leave the windows up. The GT's a/c works 1000x better, will run you out. I keep thinking I'm gonna paint the coupe, and have a guy that will do it reasonably, but even "reasonable" cost exceeds what the car is worth, so I'm having a tough time justifying doing it. After all, exactly 0 people actually want a four-cylinder fox body, especially an ugly one.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I've long thought a very budget 4.6 2V with a turbo could deliver tons of power and be reliable. Someone would just have to be able to run the "junk" 2V and not care what others thought or said. I have mad respect for the 2V. There are SOOOOOO many engines available because Ford made them for years and years and years with few real changes and put them in so any cars and trucks. They're tough as nails.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I've long thought a very budget 4.6 2V with a turbo could deliver tons of power and be reliable. Someone would just have to be able to run the "junk" 2V and not care what others thought or said. I have mad respect for the 2V. There are SOOOOOO many engines available because Ford made them for years and years and years with few real changes and put them in so any cars and trucks. They're tough as nails.
I have a strange aversion to the 4.6 in any form except the 4v, I don’t know why but I hate them lol. I think it was how underpowered they were to their competition for years and years. They seem like fine little engines and seem to take boost well though

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've had several different combos and worked on many more. IMO, the HCI + Blower or big inch Windsor are the two best "fun" combos.

Street style aluminum head (Twisted Wedge, Edelbrock Performer, etc) + street style intake (Exploder, GT40, Performer, etc) + Comp Hydraulic Roller Blower Cam 284H-R14 + Vortech S Trim with 3.33/8 pulley combo is a blast. Add in some meth . Eventually you will grenade a stock short block when you get greedy. Just replace it with a $200 Exploder short block.

For the big inch Windsor, a 408 with do. Give it enough HCI with around 10.5:1 compression and enjoy.

For both, get something to tune with. I'm partial to the Holley EFI but choose whatever you are comfortable with.

Choose an exhaust that has sound quality as the number 1 CTQ. Don't worry if one style muffler or header that might make more power than another. At this power level, it doesn't matter. It's about sound quality that you like.

Pick a good clutch if you want a manual or a great converter if you want an automatic. 3.55 or 3.73 gears and some MT drag radials to finish it out.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I've had several different combos and worked on many more. IMO, the HCI + Blower or big inch Windsor are the two best "fun" combos.

Street style aluminum head (Twisted Wedge, Edelbrock Performer, etc) + street style intake (Exploder, GT40, Performer, etc) + Comp Hydraulic Roller Blower Cam 284H-R14 + Vortech S Trim with 3.33/8 pulley combo is a blast. Add in some meth . Eventually you will grenade a stock short block when you get greedy. Just replace it with a $200 Exploder short block.

For the big inch Windsor, a 408 with do. Give it enough HCI with around 10.5:1 compression and enjoy.

For both, get something to tune with. I'm partial to the Holley EFI but choose whatever you are comfortable with.

Choose an exhaust that has sound quality as the number 1 CTQ. Don't worry if one style muffler or header that might make more power than another. At this power level, it doesn't matter. It's about sound quality that you like.

Pick a good clutch if you want a manual or a great converter if you want an automatic. 3.55 or 3.73 gears and some MT drag radials to finish it out.
Honestly, this is where I'm at with my current Dart block 427w. AFR220's, 10.7:1 compression.

I got the Holley to tune with and now the cam that I thought was a bit hot for the street seems pretty mild.

RCI mid-length headers into 3" h-pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes keeps the sound under control

Softer clutch and 3.55's work well, full time drag radials required. It doesn't have the violent torque that the Kenne Bell had, but @ 600+HP below 6600 RPM, there's plenty of torque in the midrange.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I have a strange aversion to the 4.6 in any form except the 4v, I don’t know why but I hate them lol. I think it was how underpowered they were to their competition for years and years. They seem like fine little engines and seem to take boost well though
I get that 100% an am kinda that way myself. I think Ford dropped the ball with the 2V 4.6. I think real heads could have made it a 325 hp engine with ease. But even though it is the Rodney Dangerfield of Ford engines it was in almost all respects a better engine than the 302 it replaced in factory trim. "In factory trim" being the key to that statement. The 302 took to modifications much more readily. That said...

The 4.6 2V with 5.0 DOHC rods and ANY forged aftermarket piston that keeps compression stock-ish on the stock crank will make an easy 600ish horsepower for a long time. 15 years ago 600 hp was respectable, but today it sounds weak. But 600hp is still 600hp. And on the streets that's still quite a bit of power to contain and put down regardless of how it's made. It's the cheapest path to 600 horsepower IMO. You can buy a 260hp 4.6 2V for a couple hundred bucks, add rods/pistons and push 15-20psi into it and hit 600 crank hp. You can get crazy with them if you want but it starts to make sense to go to a different engine.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I have a manual glide and the Whipple has a 3.5"x5" single blade oval TB. It's super easy and smooth to drive around:

Reactions: Mikey97D

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
With 3.08 gears 75 mph is still under 3,000 rpm. What's the problem with that? About the same as an overdrive trans with 4.10 gears. You just need more power. It's FAR more driveable in every sense than my lockup AOD was. I love it.

Reactions: Mike_S

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Ain't nothing 1970 about that - maybe you're living in the past. Power is easy to make these days. 1st gear in the AOD was worthless - when it would hookup, I was on the limiter by the 60' clock. With the 1.80 straight cut low gears in the glide, I'm still traction limited on the launch - watch the video. Even then low 1.40 60's are the norm. With a bigger tire, this street car would be deep in the 1.3s. If I add more power it'll 60' even quicker.

Hell, you can easily hit 85+ mph in low gear. While you're wasting time shifting, I've already gotten a speeding ticket on every road in my state. You can drive around all day in low OR high gear - it doesn't matter. It's one of my favorite mods to the car in the 25+ years I've had it. It's staying, and as long as the unwashed masses think it's "1970's" they'll keep losing:

21 - 40 of 73 Posts