Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, long time lurker....first time poster!

picked up a 91 gt 5spd. i looking for some insight on motor build, this will be a street only car and will never see the track, looking for more of a cruiser that handles, stops and performs well on the street.

i could use some help with a top end h/c/i... looks like magic number is about 300rwhp from what i have seen on here but torque is also important for a street car, im not looking for a dyno bragging numbers.

I recently picked up a real 93 cobra upper and lower non ported intake so i was thinking of building it around that intake combo? ...or do i suck it up and go with a trick flow set up?

budget wise i really do not have one but i would like to do it right the first time.

like to hear from others on here on some good builds you have or had, it doesn't have to be the most expensive parts used but a nice street combo.

thanks

·
Old timer
5,866 Posts
Forget pre-packaged "kits" -

Gears - never fear the gear -

Long tube headers and some straight though or turbo style mufflers.

TFS TW FAC 170 heads with the correct valve springs.

Holley Systemax 2 intake.

Minimum 70mm throttle body.

Camshaft specced for "your" goals.

:grin2:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts

The law has spoken.

Really listen to Ed he knows his stuff. There are a lot of opinions on what a street set up is. Ed will set you up right so that you will only have to do it one time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Easy build and goal can be done very cheap and yes the combo above should easily get you there .every thing I have ever read about Mr Curtis on here says good things about him .I can't spit numbers I'm to cheap for the dyno. I use the 2 ditch method if it makes you see both before you get out of it its fun or you need better tires. if it doesn't you didn't do your math right

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I hate to sound like a leg humper, but I run one of Ed's cams, and just today I made three consecutive 9 second passes, got my last time slip, drove out the gate, onto the highway and 60 miles back home. This is with a glide, 3.08 gears, mostly 93 octane pump gas (spiked with a little 116 for safety), and at 3,350 lbs. I even got caught in a traffic jam on the ride home. Ed's cams certainly work well. BTW - I run hand ported TW 170 heads (opened up to ~185 cc's).

Reactions: frank1313

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feed back on the build, and you cannot go wrong when someone who does custom cam grinds for a living gives you build info!

I had a FTI cam in a z06 I had some time back great cam and good people to work with.

now on to the part collection for a spring build.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah. Gears Yeah. But the heads are really where its at. The other stuff will just let the heads work. You will also loose some weight.

D

·
Registered
39 Posts

that's some good info:grin2:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I hate to sound like a leg humper, but I run one of Ed's cams, and just today I made three consecutive 9 second passes, got my last time slip, drove out the gate, onto the highway and 60 miles back home. This is with a glide, 3.08 gears, mostly 93 octane pump gas (spiked with a little 116 for safety), and at 3,350 lbs. I even got caught in a traffic jam on the ride home. Ed's cams certainly work well. BTW - I run hand ported TW 170 heads (opened up to ~185 cc's).
Your running 9's in the QUARTER with 3.08:1 gears and a powerglide?!!!!!
If so...ED is magic!
Nice ride!!
6sally6

·
Registered
35,489 Posts
Your running 9's in the QUARTER with 3.08:1 gears and a powerglide?!!!!!
If so...ED is magic!
Nice ride!!
6sally6
This is what happens when you test/evolve/improve a combo that's designed to work together. Also what happens when LOTS of torque-via-boost is available to move the beast down the track.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just re read this thread and check the Holley website...systemax on sale now for $621 from their website...

just sayin'

·
US Army Retired
5,315 Posts

Old and easy combo that has been track tested and time proven.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here is my current setup, made 290/327 at the wheels. It's a T5 car, all parts below were bought used here except the heads. Got those new through a vendor here at a great price. Car runs good and is a blast to drive.

Just be forewarned, you will get use to it and want more. When I did this combo I was in your exact boat. I'm currently building a 347 for more street fun.

TF TW 170 Heads
TF Stage 1 cam
"GT 40" intake (late model explorer)
1.6 RR
24lbs injectors
70mm TB
C&L calibrated MAF and tube
Fender CAI
Off brand shorty headers
2.5" exhaust with X Pipe and straight thru mufflers (dumped)
255lph fuel pump
3:73 gears

1 - 20 of 20 Posts