Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fox is my daily driver. But I still want to get the best time I can when I hit the track.

I have a set of 306 (non-roller) GT40P heads, Systemax intake, and Paxton Novi 1000. And all the other bolt on stuff too... Maybe 400 to the wheels or a little more. Never been on a dyno.

I have coilovers all around. Granatelli up front and Qa1 double adjustable out back in the stock shock location. I'm on 5 lug Weld Prostars. 275/50 tires, but they are your regular street tires. Nothing fancy. The car is full weight. Only missing power steering, AC, and smog.

I'm setting up my rear for disc brakes now and am wondering what gears should I go with. I've read 3.55 would be ideal for my set up. But those are people who usually run DR or slicks. I'll be on street tires so traction is an issue. Would I be be better with stock gears here?

Where should I start with adjusting the rear shocks?

Also, T5 not auto...

·
Registered
455 Posts
What gears do you have now? I'm actually pretty happy with my 3.08 with my 393, probably close to same power, on a 245/45/17 street tire though. I would probably want a little more with your height tire.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Haven't had it to the track yet.

If you daily your fox, I'd let your daily driving habits pick your gears, not a few trips a year to the strip. So do you like what you got?

·
Registered
135 Posts
MY CHOICE ....which isn't ideal maybe to the next would be NO LESS then a 3.73 since it is a T5 .

I went 1.7 60' s with my daily at the time a few years back with 255 pep boys futuras.

Also a car i race now started life similar to your set up but was a C4 with the same tires I listed and it had 3.55s (again a C4) and it honestly hooked pretty decent for what it is.Its really all in the suspension mainly.

To be honest I'm a fan of a lot of gear.I like 4.10/4.30s in a stick car lol funnnnnn

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
MY CHOICE ....which isn't ideal maybe to the next would be NO LESS then a 3.73 since it is a T5 .

I went 1.7 60' s with my daily at the time a few years back with 255 pep boys futuras.

Also a car i race now started life similar to your set up but was a C4 with the same tires I listed and it had 3.55s (again a C4) and it honestly hooked pretty decent for what it is.Its really all in the suspension mainly.

To be honest I'm a fan of a lot of gear.I like 4.10/4.30s in a stick car lol funnnnnn
Idk how people enjoy such a short gear with a T5. You launch in 2nd or something? Lol 1st gear lasts like .03 seconds.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The guys who have a lot of torque (9.5 deck) can make better use of a 3.08 gear. The little 8.2 deck engines (most of them) even with a centrifugal 'charger, they need RPM to make power, and it typically takes longer to get it with a highway gear. I was always happiest with a 3.73, or 3.55 for a driver, with a 2.95 T5. You do have to learn to shift, though.

Drag racing with a manual is fun, at least to me. I'm quicker with an auto though, but nothing beats the challenge (and IMO, fun) in choosing your own stall speed with the use of the left foot/leg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts