Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready for the 2019 season. I recently found out Strange doesn't carry the '86-'93 8.8" rear ends anymore. Any suggestions? I was thinking about trying Moser Engineering. Someone at Strange suggested Dutchman axles. What are you guys using? I'm not making a ton of power, but I'm going to try MT ET Streets drag radials at the track. I want to upgrade to 31-spline axles to be safe.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Moser 31spl axles here. C clip units, no eliminators, disc brakes. See sig for rest of combo.

What's your setup? Weight, tire, trans?

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Al, for your car....Ford Traclok 31 spline LS unit, moser 31 spline axles w/c-clips will do you just fine. That set up will handle plenty of abuse.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to avoid breaking if I can help it. I still need an aluminum diff cover. I'm not sure if I'm going to convert to 5 lugs yet. Of course ARP wheel studs for the axles.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Chad, not sure if u remember my green turbo 95. But car ran 9.73 at 137 with a 1.31 60 on a Dr on stock axles LOL.
It can certainly be done on stock stuff, but for how long? I think Al wants something he won’t have to worry about breaking.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may give the stock stuff a chance or two while I'm saving up. I'm trying to get things done before April. It'll be here before you know it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have went [email protected] with a 1.32 60’ with this setup.
Nice! Thanks! I'm thinking about doing the 5 lug conversion and switching to 11.65" brakes. Might get the axle tubes welded too.
No better time to upgrade to 5 lug than when you’re buying 31 splines anyways. You can find a cheap sn95 rear end usually, and you’ll get disc brakes. Just put 31 spline internals inside and you’re set.

Definitely weld up the axle tubes. Good, cheap insurance to eliminate twist.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I may give the stock stuff a chance or two while I'm saving up. I'm trying to get things done before April. It'll be here before you know it.
I’d save up and do it right once. 5 lug swap, brake upgrade, locker upgrade, etc. take it apart and rebuild it once. As stated, no better time to do a 5- lug swap if you’re wanting to upgrade axles anyways.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to talk to Mitchell Diff or someone local and get some prices before dropping off my rearend.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Chad, not sure if u remember my green turbo 95. But car ran 9.73 at 137 with a 1.31 60 on a Dr on stock axles LOL.
It can certainly be done on stock stuff, but for how long? I think Al wants something he won’️t have to worry about breaking.
I didn't recommend it, just mentioned to Chad that I did it. For years even.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts