Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 GT mustang, totally stock, 10k miles. I'm running 93 oct. and I'm getting a sound between 2000 and 3000 rpm under WOT that sounds just like detonation. It sounds like little BB's in a tin can. It won't stop ever.

Does anyone know what it could be? Can it detonate with 93 on a stock engine????

Please help< It's driving me CRAZY.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.........Oh, I do have a steeda TriAx, my only mod.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If it's under warranty, take it back to the dealer and make them fix it. I know that the 2001's are detonating on 87 and 89, but detonating on 93 is flat out wrong.

Go to the dealer....and for GOD'S sake, don't tell them about the shifter. They will probably try to pin the pinging on it. Just tell them it's stock.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A guy on the phoenix mustang clubs forum had this problem.
The put a new motor in and it still had the problem.
Then he went for a drive with a Ford rep with 3 GT's on the dealerships lot and all had the same noise. Needless to say the matter is being looked into.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i believe that would be me.

but the noise that i heard was only when the motor was cold or had set for more than 4 hours.

Sound is like REALLY bad detonation (not to be confused with ping a wot).

and the noise that i heard was only at light acceleration.

But it sounds like you have ping, and i'm sure that the dealer has a reflash for the ecu for this.

Try

www.alldata.com

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 02 GT and I get the same thing under slight acceleration, usually between ~2800rpm and 4500rpm. If I just try to maintain a steady rpm, say 3000 I will get that detonation sound. It does not happen under WOT though.

It sounds like my girlfriends old 99 Ranger with the POS 3 litre v6.
Im bringing my car into the dealership this Saturday hopefully.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spreadman ............. You MUST tell me where you got those tips. Sweetness!

as for this problem, this is [email protected]#$%. I love mustangs, and couldn't imagine driving anything else (besides a viper) .............but for COCKS SAKE FORD, get ur freakin act together!!!!!!!!
I hate little noises that I dont' know what they are.

I dont' know if anyone else is getting this, but when I slow down to about 10 or so, I get a little vibration in the car and a "rrmmm" that you can faintly hear. My friends does it too, I dont' know if it's the breaks, it happens even if I'm coasting.

·
Registered
433 Posts
svt00r said:

I dont' know if anyone else is getting this, but when I slow down to about 10 or so, I get a little vibration in the car and a "rrmmm" that you can faintly hear. My friends does it too, I dont' know if it's the breaks, it happens even if I'm coasting.
Sounds like your abs system doing a self-check.

For some reason they are really lound on trhe new Gt's.

I think it's coincidence that you heard it when you did. I hear the same hummin/buzzing intermittently.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fixer said:

Sounds like your abs system doing a self-check.

For some reason they are really lound on trhe new Gt's.

I think it's coincidence that you heard it when you did. I hear the same hummin/buzzing intermittently.
I hear it everytime I slow down though.

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the problem with the engine noise too on my 2001 GT. Changing octane did not have an effect. I'm not sure if it's the same noise you're talking about, but it sounds to me like someone is pouring very fine buckshot into a metal coffee can. The noise is present during light acceleration, especially right after shifting into higher gears. Very frustrating! Does anyone know if a chip re-burn at the dealer could really fix this or is it a waste of time? I really doesn't sound "bad" enought to be detonation... just sounds like the whole valve train is temprarily starving for oil (I'm not suggesting that's what it is - I'm just describing what it sounds like).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stock motor Detonation

Just take your car to the dyno and you will see that sound show up clearly as detonation...Easy to see on teh dyno graph...mine does it on 87, 89, and 93...it don't mattah none.

meeting with Ford Regional Engineering on the 28th of February.:joy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts