Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of gains might one see from porting the stock GT upper manifold?

I did a search for old messages and people seemed to have the idea that it would produce very little NA and you should probablly just buy the Bullit intake... but that is $$$ that will be for a supercharger.

And other questions for the experts that might know:
1. How is the fit between the upper metal manifold and the plastic piece? Are they Matched at all?
2. The top of the manifold has the rough cast look, is the inside of the metal manifold the same, or is it smooth?

Thanks in Advance,
Gruss

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
First of all, the "lower", plastic portion cannot/should not be ported. It has a 2-3 mm wall thickness, and besides, it's very "slippery" already. There's nothing you can do to get is more polished than it already is (injection mold).
The match between the throttle body spacer and the intake (aluminum upper to plastic lower) is close. The t/b spacer is 1-2 mm smaller than the intake.
The inside of the t/b spacer is rough, just like the outside (sand-cast).
If you want real gains, do both the Bullitt intake and a s/c.;)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
What kind of gains might one see from porting the stock GT upper manifold?
I've been wondering for certain myself. Flow bench testing of unported/stock elbows vs. ported should be starting shortly...to be followed (hopefully) by dyno testing pending the results of the bench tests. Testing will also be for three different castings...96-98, 99-00, and 01. Results will be available for $$$. J/K :)

I agree with most of what '01 Steed said. Not sure if the aluminum elbow is sand cast, but there is a fair amount of casting flash inside the typical piece. Most have been hit with a grinder from the factory, but the quality or lack thereof varies from part to part.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
:lol:

TheMan offered...

How could I resist? 'sides I figured you wanted to, even if just to shut me up about porting them!! You did get them by now, right? And no, I don't expect instantaneous results on this one! Just lemme know when the 'before' tests are done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts