Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried something like the goodyear stock car specials for drag racing? They are quite a bit cheaper. I'm sure there is a reason...just curious if anyone has tried it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one? guess there is a reason for that...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't know about your question directly, and since it appears no one else does, I will share with you what I know and hope you or someone else finds it helpful. There is a huge variance in what is classified as an oval slick. Beyond dirt versus asphalt, they are super-sticky ones and ones designed to last all season in a budget class. There are soft sidewall units designed to cushion the car on a flat track, and there are super stiff ones designed to deal with 20° banking at 100+ mph.

So, unless you know what exact tire you are getting, there is very little anyone can tell you based on it being a circle track tire. That is much too broad a category.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, goes to show you how little I know about circle track racing. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I run stiff sidewall Hoosier 27x10 slicks that the local roundy rounder guys throw out once they are half used up. I get them for free, hence why I use them... My best 60' is 1.66 and I run consistant 1.68-1.71's The trick is to find two used slicks that have the same circumference as each tire wears at a different rate on the circle track cars....

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I use to run free ones as well, had to heat the crap out of them (normal burnout X 3) but they didn't work to bad if you did.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can tell you that slicks on a stock aod aren't necessary, from my experience, you could probably run skinnies on the back and have acceptable traction :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't bother with slicks if I had a stock aod either. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts