Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Corral,
I just got done building a little stock shortblock 302 budget build and am planning on buying the base On3 kit sometime this month, as the car sort of sucks the way it is now (304/316). My issue is mainly mismatched parts. I have ported Windsor Sr. Heads and really don't want to pull them off to cut my pistons. There is a B cam in there now that clears with the 2.02/1.60 valves, but the power band sucks, as the cam quits a little after the heads start making power. Not helping anything is the TF Street Heat intake which has the same issue as the B cam as far as rpm range goes. When I go turbo would it be worth picking up a stock HO cam and a Systemax intake and ditching the C/I that I have on there now? I'm just trying to solve the issue of mismatched parts. If it helps, the heads have 200cc intake runners 64cc combustion chambers and exhaust ports. They flow about 300cfm (intake). Any advice is appreciated, as I can't seem to find ANY 302/EFI/turbo combos that have used Windsor Sr. Heads!
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
A stock cam will have a lower powerband than a b-cam will. Why not retard the cam you have and look for a short runner intake? A turbo will bring the steam either way on the topend.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess in retarding/advancing the cam I have now, I'm worried about PTV. Would it be worth the hassle to ditch my Street Heat for a Systemax and just keep the B Cam in there?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I suppose I will do that... The cam is my main concern. How much boost does one usually run on a HCI combo?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I wouldn't change your combo. If your car responds to the On3 turbo like my car did you will have plenty of torque. My MP70 starts to spool about 2500 rpm and will reach 9psi (I am using an MS to control boost) by 3000 rpms.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Are you saying the car makes 304rwhp now? Got a graph? I'd like to see the curve, I don't think 304rwhp sucks at all. Ran it at the track yet?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, that's what it made NA. Here's a graph. The thing runs outta steam before it hits 5700.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I didn't take it to the track yet because I just ripped all of the drag stuff off and put road race suspension on it so it's stiff as a rock. Ooh, and I will most likely grenade my transmission :crying:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Looks like solid power and a nice curve to me. I'd probably not want to go much past 5700 anyway with the power it'd be making on a stock block. I'd just slap a turbo on, tune, and have a blast.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
The turbo will make ur topend way sweeter. Hell I beat a crotch rocket with iron heads. I beat alot of other cars with a stock intake and iron heads. The topend will be there. Leave the B-cam or swap it for an F-cam. I started with 12psi off the tops, but I was also on e85.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Leave it alone, the B-cam, intake and heads are fine. Keep it under 5700rpm and hang on. Put your money towards a better 5spd. You will have gobs of torque.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts