Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market to buy new software. Was leaning towards the pimpxs but I like the price of the diy better. But what's the main difference between the 2? I like that the pimp is self learning to an extent but what else are the differences? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And to clear things up I'm looking for simplicity. I'm not a tuner by any means. Just sold my pms4 and need something to take place. I want pretty much a "plug and play" unit with minor adjustments on my end.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
PiMPxs is Megasquirt 3 (MS3)
MSPNP is Megasquirt 2 (MS2)

There is no diy pnp2, there is a DIYPNPF60 for the Mustang.
MSPNP & DIYPNP are both Microsquirt Module based. The DIY you have to assemble yourself & you have to provide the Ford connector.
PiMPxs does not use the Microsquirt Module which is MS2.

The PiMPxs is no more "self learning" than any of the others.
All will require quite a bit of tuning. The base tunes will get it started & running.

All use Tuner Studio as the user interface.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
This statement is confusing... There is no DIY PNP but there is an assembled PNP, which is what he was asking for. Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirtpnp-g2-eec4a8-for-86-93-ford-mustang-5-0/

But yeah, PimpXS is MS3 based which allows sequential fueling and PNPG2 is MS2 based which is batch firing. Batch works pretty well but Seq. is better. They both have VE Analyze Live (auto-tune). and both require similar setup procedures. MS3 will require a couple more settings for injectors.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I run the Stinger PiMP in my KB supercharged 5.0. I have the older ECU (not PIMPxs) and I love it. All of these tuning platforms require a lot of studying about how engine timing and EFI works. It's not too difficult but it's not exactly a "just plug it in and autotune" kind of thing. The Auto Tune feature in Tuner Studio is OK at best. I tried it but wasn't too impressed. I much more prefer VE analyze in the MegoLog Viewer that will make suggested changes to your fuel table based on data logging.

One thing I can say for sure is that Shannon and Wes K are really great guys and run their tech forum at Stingers website very well. Great response time, friendly, and knowledgeable. They helped me with a couple self inflicted issues with my car that were not caused by the PIMP ECU. Pretty soon I will add meth injection that will be controlled by the PIMP.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I run the Stinger PiMP in my KB supercharged 5.0. I have the older ECU (not PIMPxs) and I love it. All of these tuning platforms require a lot of studying about how engine timing and EFI works. It's not too difficult but it's not exactly a "just plug it in and autotune" kind of thing. The Auto Tune feature in Tuner Studio is OK at best. I tried it but wasn't too impressed. I much more prefer VE analyze in the MegoLog Viewer that will make suggested changes to your fuel table based on data logging.
I would interested in knowing more about the trouble with auto tune in TunerStudio. In general if there is an issue it due to a bad input. If you have any data logs and msq's where TS was not dialing the VE table in, please send them. It is very important to have every thing up and working properly before using auto tune.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would interested in knowing more about the trouble with auto tune in TunerStudio. In general if there is an issue it due to a bad input. If you have any data logs and msq's where TS was not dialing the VE table in, please send them. It is very important to have every thing up and working properly before using auto tune.
My skills/knowlege with tuning is only novice/intermediate so take this with a grain of salt.

I believe AutoTune works OK but it suggests changes after only one or few hits to a cell. In VE Analyze I can take a long drive and data log it, the VE Analyze will recommend changes based on cells that have dozens or hundreds of hits which I think is better (just my opinion). I can also pick and choose what changes will be made from those recommendations and hover over the changed cells to see what the value was before changing my tune. There is a little more control with VE Analyze. I also had to do a lot more "smoothing" of my fuel table with AutoTune, the numbers jumped around a lot in value, the 3d map looked crazy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My skills/knowlege with tuning is only novice/intermediate so take this with a grain of salt.

I believe AutoTune works OK but it suggests changes after only one or few hits to a cell. In VE Analyze I can take a long drive and data log it, the VE Analyze will recommend changes based on cells that have dozens or hundreds of hits which I think is better (just my opinion). I can also pick and choose what changes will be made from those recommendations and hover over the changed cells to see what the value was before changing my tune. There is a little more control with VE Analyze. I also had to do a lot more "smoothing" of my fuel table with AutoTune, the numbers jumped around a lot in value, the 3d map looked crazy.
Hmm, they actually use the same algorithm, except in TunerStudio manages Lambda delay better. There should be no difference in number jumps. If you can make this happen, please provide a data log.

·
Registered
338 Posts
PiMPxs is Megasquirt 3 (MS3)
MSPNP is Megasquirt 2 (MS2)

MSPNP & DIYPNP are both Microsquirt Module based. The DIY you have to assemble yourself & you have to provide the Ford connector.
PiMPxs does not use the Microsquirt Module which is MS2.
I think he meant MSPNP. There is a MSPNP and MSPNP2.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Was just checking this out as well, Stinger PiMPxs vs MSPNP2...the basic price point of $955 vs $839 makes it interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts