Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the car out again last night to try it out with the new springs. I personally think this tracks prep is kinda crap but many people here say "if 5 second cars can hook then its not a crappy track when your can't". Anywho, first here's my setup:

FRONT:
17x8 bullits w/245/40/17 Nexen tires
PA Racing Tubular K-member
PA Racing tubular A-arms
Strange 10-way adjustable struts
Strange coilovers w/QA1 springs 14-150's
stock steering setup
hotchkis C/C plates

REAR
stock upper control arms
CHE lower control arms
Strange 10-way Single adjustable Coilover shocks
12-130 coilover springs
built 31 spline rearend
NO Quadshocks
15x10 Weld Prostars w/ 28x11.5x15 ET Streets

Tried a couple passes on motor, car felt DECENT but 60 fts were 1.80-1.84.......which is actually a tad worse than 3 weeks ago in crappier weather and on 14-225 fronts/12-200 rears.

On the spray is where it matters most because it is rather dangerous to be honest.

1st Pass
Front: 2
Rear 3 Drivers/4 Pass

1.66 60ft
[email protected]

I had to lift completely out of it on the 2-3 shift because it got sideways. Coasted through the traps.

2nd pass
Front: 3
Rear: 4 D/ 5 P

1.70 60ft
[email protected]

I am in and out of the throttle the entire pass trying to keep it straight and out of the wall.

3rd pass
Front: 5
Rear: 4 D/5 P

1.71 60ft
[email protected]

I staed in it the entire time except for a 2-3 granny shift.

Car has the power to cut 1.5's on the jug and 1.6's on the motor. I just can't get it to do it.

Friendsi n the stands says the front end is bouncy....just like it was before with the stiff springs. Now it has more Drag-oriented springs on it.

My theory: The rears at 3D/4P is STILL too stiff and I need to drop them to 0D/1P or 1D/2P. Reason why.....The rear is so stiff that once launched, it pushes the rear back up & the nose back down, then the tires unload.....power makes the nose come back up and the rear plant again. Basically, the rear is fighting the front the entire time and its causing the tires to unload ALOT.

I really want suspension guys to chime in here. It is completely rediculous this car isn't hooking. It has bolt-on Mach1 SFc's on it but some weld-in's are coming in a few months. Also going with the Baseline suspensions upper setup around that time as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I plan on hitting up the 1/4 mile track here in a few weeks and getting that hairy on the big end of a 1/4 mile track is NOT going to be fun.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What is the weight of the car? Air pressure? I can guarantee the front struts should be full loose, and with stock geometry rear suspension, the rear shock will need to be in the 8-10 range to hold the hit.

Have you had the bump steer checked?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its full weight minus rear seat delete, spare tire, and k-member...id ray 3400-ish with me in it.

the car still needs an alignment so I have no clue what bumpsteer is.

you really think the rears need to be all way up to 8-10? DAMN.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL. when i went from 26's to 28's the car hooked up better. on motor it may be too much tire but on the juice it needs that tire. Its good for both 1/8th and 1/4.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I would recommend an adjustable upper rear control arm and IC relocation brackets. Isn't that rear spring a little light compared to what most people run? Do you still have the sway bar and battery in front?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
battery is in front no swaybar up front.

that is what was recommended to me to run in the rear :dunno:

I will be going to the Baseline Suspensions rear setup next on the car. Right now, I know the car can do better than it used to on stock suspension.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
i bet getting rid of those 17" front wheels may help knock a few tenths off and pick up a few mph..

i had 17x9 cobra r's with 245/45-17's on the front and weighed them on a bathroom scale..56lbs Each..

i bought a used set of draglite skinnies with cheapo 185 street tires..28lbs each..

thats a 56lb loss of rotating mass off the front end..i picked up 2-3 mph and almost .2 in the 1/4 from that alone..im still having traction issues though,i dont think my 235 m/t drag radials are big enuff..thats another story..

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Yeah, get some runners on the front for one thing.

Who recommended that spring rate on the rear? Its probably pretty close actually. I was thinking it was a little on the stiff side, maybe because your car is a bit heavier it needs that rate. Common fox spring for rear coil-overs is 110 lbs on say a 3000-3100 lbs car.

But also, stiffen up the rear suspension, don't loosen it. Being loose is whats allowing the rear to bounce and rebound so much. When the track was good, I used to run my rear shocks at like 8. If the track was bad, I loosen them up and launch a little lower in the rpms to hit the tires softer.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, get some runners on the front for one thing.

Who recommended that spring rate on the rear? Its probably pretty close actually. I was thinking it was a little on the stiff side, maybe because your car is a bit heavier it needs that rate. Common fox spring for rear coil-overs is 110 lbs on say a 3000-3100 lbs car.

But also, stiffen up the rear suspension, don't loosen it. Being loose is whats allowing the rear to bounce and rebound so much. When the track was good, I used to run my rear shocks at like 8. If the track was bad, I loosen them up and launch a little lower in the rpms to hit the tires softer.
Jason at PA Racing and my tuner both recommended that rate for my car. I never asked what to set the shocks......damn this sucks i went the wrong way with the adjustments!!!!!

I got tires just need the money for some prostar fronts and i can help the car out LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts