Ford Mustang Forums banner

stiff sidewall drag slicks

21K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  TomR 
#1 ·
do these really work better for stick cars? what are your experiences? i ran some last year but am trying non stiff this year and am wondering what to expect.

#4 ·
I picked up a little on the top end also with stif sidewall. Also the car fills more stable. I love my stiff sidewalls!

#5 ·
I didn't really see any et or 60' improvements, but I was super consistent last year running the stiff sidewall. Most will agree they are more stable on the big end. I'll be running them again this season.

#45 ·
Same here as what that guy posted.

On my car I saw no change in 60 ft at all. I saw no change at all in ET or MPH. I had a set of each, so I could and did swap back and forth.

I do think the stiff sidewalls are a little more stable up over 120. Not much better, but maybe a little bit. That may be entirely in my head, but they seemed a tad less squirmy. Either one was stable enough, however.

I really think you could run either one.

#14 ·
RealStreetMustangs.com - Home of NMRA Real Street Racer Bruce Hemminger

Here is an article about the Mickey Thompson Tires 26 x 10 stiff sidewall that I wrote back in 2007 when I tested them for Mickey Thompson. The stiff sidewall 26 x 10 tire is for real. I have been as quick as 1.231 60ft with this tire. It is awesome little tire!!!!

Especially if you are running a stickshift car. The stiff sidewall tire will be a great tire for you.

#15 ·
so basically what's the advantage to a stiff sidewall slick? is it just more consistent with a stick shift car (what i have) and more stable on the big end? i only run 1/8 mile so dunno if the last part would benefit me much at all.

#16 ·
the name basically tells you the diff in that and the reg slick. A stickcar will hit the tires harder than a auto, and you want the SS to absorb the shock. Try em out.........THEY WORK

#19 ·
I am not an expert on tire design. I do understand the importance to getting horse power to the ground. I will try to give you my thoughts.

Example A

First think about water balloon rolling down a glass table and how quick it gets from one side of the table to the other as you apply force to push it from one side to the other.

Second think about a steel ball in the same diameter as the water balloon. Using the same force to push it from one side of the table to the other. Which one rolls quicker? Pretty easy to answer. The steel ball.

The object in racing is to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. You need to be able to apply as much power to the ground without sacrificing any loss in the tires (of course there are other parts of the race car , but we are talking about tires).

Example B-

Get 2 rubber bands. Both same diameter. One that is thin and very elastic. And the other that is stiffer,thicker, and tighter. Pull them back off your finger and shoot them across the room/ Which one has the ability to shoot farther? Yep the stiffer/tighter one.

Take these examples and think about the differences between a drag radial and a slick. Hope this helps you understand better.

#20 ·
i run the 28'' stiff wall. Ive been 1.43 sixty foot with them and 1.53 on the radials. This is a stick car. Thy are pretty great, the car dosent move around on the big end like it did when i ran on 26'' ET streets either. I dont think id be able to tell the difference between the stiff wall and the radial on the big end. I spent alot of time trying to get the radial to work, and 3 passes on the slicks and i was already at a 1.49 sixty foot on the slicks

#26 ·
Great info guys, thanks Bruce, I always read your posts 10x. Is it safe to say then a drag radial is too stiff and hard on a stick car, a reg slick isn't enough and the stiffwall is just enough. (as a general statement for stick cars) I know there's many factors and people can get all the tires to work.

#27 ·
I can agree with the current street drag radials are too stiff for a stick car. They can't handle the shock of a stick shift. You would have to hit it very soft on the line and hope you have enough clutch to pull the car down track. Look at a stiff sidewall slick as being able to handle the shock better then a regular slick. In the case of the 26x10 MTT slicks the stiff sidewall slicks are made of a different compound.

#28 · (Edited)
I currently dont have the stiff side wall slicks ( with a 5 spd) but will the 26X10 SS Slicks fit on my 15X8.0 weld rims? Id like to step up to a slightly wider tire b/c Im currently running the 15X8 slicks but I also want them to properly fit on the rim. The summit site reccomends a 9-11 rim for the 15X10 tire so should I go with a smaller SS slick or will those fit fine on my current rims?

#33 · (Edited)
ok I'll keep that in mind thanks. Am I giving up a noticeable amount of time or traction with out getting a full contact patch if I do make the switch over?

Guess what I really am asking is will I see more of an improvement going to the 15X10 stiff sidewall tire on the 8" rim and giving up some contact patch VS staying with a 15X8 tire on the same rim but it not being a stiff sidewall

#34 ·
Here are some things that I have learned over the years to help everyone. With reguards to better 60fts, tire life, etc.

1. Sunlight is cancer to slicks. Keep your tires out of the sun.
2. Rotate your tires from one side to the other as often as possible.
3. Do not let your tires go flat. It will destroy the sidewall.
4. Running tubes can help tire life along with better 60fts.
5. Rim screws will stiffen the sidewall. I run 16 per side.
6. Check out the tech bullitans at Mickey Thompson Tires. Read them all!!!!
Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

#35 ·
Hey Bruce. How's it going buddy. As always your posting some great info. Just for the fellow stick guys. I have been running 26-10 stiff for three years now with tubes as per bruces recomendation. Instantly dropped a tenth and a half off my best 60 ft. I've never looked back. I've ran a best 60 of 1.22 with 8.56 at 156. The car is a lot more stable up top now. I'm sticking with the 26-10 as long as I can. I'm going to weigh 2650 or less this year so I'm hoping to 60 those little tires in the teens this summer. Then upping the shot ang go for sevens. It won't be easy but I know I can get it close ( right Bruce?). As Bruce has told me take baby steps. I also want to thank mr Hemminger for all his help over the years and never asking for anything in return.

#36 ·
Thanks Mark. I appreciate the kind words. Trust me my friend I learn from you as well. I really enjoy talking with you trying to improve your car. Some of the things that we have talked about help me to apply to my car too. I know that you will accomplish your goals of 60fts in the teens and running in the 7's. Talk to you soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.