Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do these really work better for stick cars? what are your experiences? i ran some last year but am trying non stiff this year and am wondering what to expect.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
do these really work better for stick cars? what are your experiences? i ran some last year but am trying non stiff this year and am wondering what to expect.
yes, I picked up .08 in my 60fts, but the most important thing was my car was more consistent.. get a set..

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I picked up a little on the top end also with stif sidewall. Also the car fills more stable. I love my stiff sidewalls!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I didn't really see any et or 60' improvements, but I was super consistent last year running the stiff sidewall. Most will agree they are more stable on the big end. I'll be running them again this season.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I don't see a stiff sidewall slick in summit. Just the regular ET Drags..????

·
Registered
238 Posts
They have them. Part# 3055s if you want 28x10.5.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes, the 3053s is the stiff sidewall 26". The 's' designates the stiff sidewall.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
RealStreetMustangs.com - Home of NMRA Real Street Racer Bruce Hemminger

Here is an article about the Mickey Thompson Tires 26 x 10 stiff sidewall that I wrote back in 2007 when I tested them for Mickey Thompson. The stiff sidewall 26 x 10 tire is for real. I have been as quick as 1.231 60ft with this tire. It is awesome little tire!!!!

Especially if you are running a stickshift car. The stiff sidewall tire will be a great tire for you.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
so basically what's the advantage to a stiff sidewall slick? is it just more consistent with a stick shift car (what i have) and more stable on the big end? i only run 1/8 mile so dunno if the last part would benefit me much at all.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
so basically what's the advantage to a stiff sidewall slick? is it just more consistent with a stick shift car (what i have) and more stable on the big end? i only run 1/8 mile so dunno if the last part would benefit me much at all.
the name basically tells you the diff in that and the reg slick. A stickcar will hit the tires harder than a auto, and you want the SS to absorb the shock. Try em out.........THEY WORK

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
RealStreetMustangs.com - Home of NMRA Real Street Racer Bruce Hemminger

Here is an article about the Mickey Thompson Tires 26 x 10 stiff sidewall that I wrote back in 2007 when I tested them for Mickey Thompson. The stiff sidewall 26 x 10 tire is for real. I have been as quick as 1.231 60ft with this tire. It is awesome little tire!!!!

Especially if you are running a stickshift car. The stiff sidewall tire will be a great tire for you.
Yes they are an awesome tire!

·
Registered
608 Posts
the name basically tells you the diff in that and the reg slick. A stickcar will hit the tires harder than a auto, and you want the SS to absorb the shock. Try em out.........THEY WORK
I see slot of stick cars like the stiff sidewall, but why doesn't a regular slick absorb the hit better. My thought is it would winkle more, never understood this. Or is it when the softer tire gets back into shape that is the problem?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I am not an expert on tire design. I do understand the importance to getting horse power to the ground. I will try to give you my thoughts.

Example A

First think about water balloon rolling down a glass table and how quick it gets from one side of the table to the other as you apply force to push it from one side to the other.

Second think about a steel ball in the same diameter as the water balloon. Using the same force to push it from one side of the table to the other. Which one rolls quicker? Pretty easy to answer. The steel ball.

The object in racing is to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. You need to be able to apply as much power to the ground without sacrificing any loss in the tires (of course there are other parts of the race car , but we are talking about tires).

Example B-

Get 2 rubber bands. Both same diameter. One that is thin and very elastic. And the other that is stiffer,thicker, and tighter. Pull them back off your finger and shoot them across the room/ Which one has the ability to shoot farther? Yep the stiffer/tighter one.

Take these examples and think about the differences between a drag radial and a slick. Hope this helps you understand better.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
i run the 28'' stiff wall. Ive been 1.43 sixty foot with them and 1.53 on the radials. This is a stick car. Thy are pretty great, the car dosent move around on the big end like it did when i ran on 26'' ET streets either. I dont think id be able to tell the difference between the stiff wall and the radial on the big end. I spent alot of time trying to get the radial to work, and 3 passes on the slicks and i was already at a 1.49 sixty foot on the slicks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts