Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaving the nitrous world and stepping into boost.

I am startting on an 8.2" Dart-based junker. Here is a pic of the turbo stuff sitting on my floor:

I guess the main reason I posted is to see what you guys think about either slapping some stock block garbage together to learn to tune this, or go straight to the Dart junk?

I can do 331/347 shortblocks for cheap enough to not care if it grenades.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
If you have the dart stuff go ahead. No reason you cant get your learning curve on a motor that is a little more forgiving. I for one would love a dart block so I could put my 347 parts in it turn the wick up.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Welcome to the world of jackstand project cars. Go with the dart stuff.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the world of jackstand project cars. Go with the dart stuff.
I hear you; I sold the nitrous 8.2" last August.

This will be blow-thru carb also.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What displacement would better suit the 76mm? Im torn between 3.25" and 3.400" stroke with the 4.125" bore.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What displacement would better suit the 76mm? Im torn between 3.25" and 3.400" stroke with the 4.125" bore.
How much power do you want to make? FWIW I have a fms r block @ 4.125" bore/3.1" stroke which makes it a 331. With a HP performance 76mm garrett turbo tfs heads/f cam/victor jr setup for efi thru a t56 6 speed manual it made 610/566 tickling the turbo on 10lbs. I'd do the shorter stroke if I had a choice just to keep piston speed down and make the motor last a little longer.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much power do you want to make? FWIW I have a fms r block @ 4.125" bore/3.1" stroke which makes it a 331. With a HP performance 76mm garrett turbo tfs heads/f cam/victor jr setup for efi thru a t56 6 speed manual it made 610/566 tickling the turbo on 10lbs. I'd do the shorter stroke if I had a choice just to keep piston speed down and make the motor last a little longer.
I want to run 9.90"s in a 3000lb fox. TW 205s and a Super Vic.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thats money in the bank with even the 3.25" stroke 4.125" bore motor. It will spool damn near instantly, make good power, and be easier on pistons/rods. With the 205's/super vic it will pull some rpms with the shorter stroke motor/short runner intake. I'd throw a good set of rocker shafts and lifters in it. Then you could spin it to the moon. Just remember to keep compression in check. I wouldnt run anything more then 9:1. What 76mm turbo is it? Reason I ask, a master power 76mm might be good to 700-750rwhp while Ive seen a billet wheel precision pull 850rwhp. Thats thru an auto.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a Master Power. I will probably be on E85 also.

I would think 650- 700ish would get my tank into the high 9's.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
4.125 + 3.25 (347), but also the cam and the compression have a lot to do with volume of air the motor will move.

With a 76 you probably want to be "moderate" in terms of cam and compression or you could get beyond what it is capable of handling if you push it.

The 363 would seem to me to be getting too big unless a very mild setup.

The 4.125 bore helped my motor significantly because of the fact that it unshrouds the valves on a good set of heads.

What kit is that pile of parts?

·
Registered
93 Posts
that turbo will be done by 700-750. No reason to get crazy with the motor unless you plan to upgrade the kit and turbo later. I'd throw a small cam with your heads and intake and call it done with the shorter stroke motor.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The kit is "custom" built. I was going to buy an off-the-shelf kit, but this just worked out better.

What compression are the E85 users here running?

Is a 76mm going to work for my goals? I thought it would be great, but am hearing that it may be a bit small.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies BTW.

And sorry for all the questions; I am just wanting to start machining this pretty soon.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Since a motor is really just an air pump, the turbo needs to be sized to the amount of air that is being pumped.

A 347 can be fine with a 76 if it is built to "match". As others have said, keep the cam moderate and the compression conservative and you could have a nice balanced combo.

There are people that can do all the math on the airflow but you will have to go to ttf for that.

Mike

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is about the biggest cubic inch I'd go with that particular turbo. Make sure you have the big exhaust a/r housing.
.96 is what Im using

1 - 17 of 17 Posts