Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an article (that was actually related to drifting) in mustang enthuiest which mentioned that the mustang steering rack doesn't allow the wheels to turn as hard as other cars out there. Are there any products that improve this? Does this become a noticable problem in AutoX events?

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
It's not a problem at autocross events unless the course designer is a real dick. Some of the limitations include fenderwell clearance and A-arm clearance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
99+ cars have about 3' tighter turning circle than the earlier cars. Ford modified the a-arms for more clearance. So you're 02 is better than most Mustangs. Never had a problem in an autocross with my 92, but parking my wife's 02 is much easier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
more steering angle

I unfortunately missed that Mustang Monthly article, but the Cobra pictured in it is mine. I've found that I've been able to gain quite a bit of turning angle on my '96 by taking the steering rack limiters out (I only had one per side) and then spacing out the front wheels (earlier MM Konig Villain 17x9's with 6.25" BS) 1.25" with hubcentric spacers. With 275 ES 100s, a 1.75" drop, and about 2 degrees of negative camber I don't have any metal on metal contact between the K member and inner lip of the wheels at full lock. (tire to wheelwell liner contact is another issure, however). The only method I know of to attain an even tighter turning radius is to shorten the steering arms of the spindles. Then you will probably see problems with swaybar and wheelwell clearance as MFE stated. Good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have notcied that all the fox mustang guys I autoX with complain about tight sections in the courses. The club I run with caters to miatas and VWs and courses are agonizing in many spots. Sometimes a run just becomes an excerise in how fast you can turn the wheel. I haven't had a problem with turning radius, just speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts