Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a set of weld skinnies on the front and would like to know how hard will it be to steer without the pump

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I have ran a flaming river manual standard ratio kit on one of my foxes for two years now and it has draglites with skinnies. I love the feeling of it and it's not difficult at all really to turn. Only time it's hard is when your completely stopped and trying to turn the wheel without moving at all but even then with skinnies it's not that challenging.

it's worth the weight savings

·
Registered
262 Posts
Like he said it isnt bad. Once youre moving it isnt bad at all..
My first vehicle when I was 16 was an S10 w/out power steering.. lol

I think w/out power steering you have more road "feel" so to speak.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
The power steering is made to use the pump with out it you will be replacing it after some time depends on how much you drive . You should plan on buying a manual rack and you don't have to buy a flaming river you can just buy a factory manual steering from the parts store when I bought mine many years ago I paid 100.00 plus I gave them the power rack as a core now its most likely closer to 150.00 you will need a steering shaft like the flaming river one as the spline count is different on the power racks shaft .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree on how much you drive for just looping the lines on a power rack. I drove with one like that for 2 years without any problems, but you may not get that much time on yours, all depends.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I drove mine for 2 years with the PS rack lines looped, and no pump. This was with 255/45/17 on 17x9 wheels and tires on the front in a heavier Thunderbird, and I am 66 years old. Sounds like a lot of "Girly Men" out there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I hear that the trick is to undo the lines and turn the wheels each direction a few times to get the extra fluid out of the rack. If you do this it should be easier to turn, I guess?

·
Registered
452 Posts
im wondering the same thing how hard is it to turn the wheel if you remove the pump. im running skinnies too. my pump is going bad it only works whe motor is at higher rpms. i plan on buying a flaming river but just dont have the $$$ right now. and i dont really want to buy a new pump for only a couple months of use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts