Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using to mount a quick release to their mustangs? I would like to add a quick releases Momo suede wheel to my 98. If it spaces the wheel closer to the driver that would be a welcome bonus.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
im using a momo monte carlo suede steering wheel with a sparco quick release hub adapter that i bought from MM. It did get the wheel closer to me and you can also get spacers to get it even closer. airbag light kinda pisses me off but i barely drive the car anyway...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
i own an 89 gt, i plan on using all sparco stuff, what would i need to mount a sparco steering wheel with a quick release

hub/adapter ?
quick release
and wheel

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've got a Momo Mod 78 wheel with a Momo hub. I don't want a quick release because I don't have a cage and don't park it outside (for security sake), so I don't want to create an opportunity for the wheel to come off or spend the extra money on a QR setup.

I've heard good things about NRG version 2.5 - $149.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
that NRG QR will work with a sparco steering wheel? and factory fox steering hub?

·
Registered
354 Posts
that NRG QR will work with a sparco steering wheel? and factory fox steering hub?
It will work with a Momo or Sparco 6 bolt hub. You'll have to remove the stock steering wheel (obvious) and install the momo/sparco hub and attach the NRG to it.

So, $80 for the momo hub, $149 for the NRG plus the wheel of your choice...NRG actually has a couple of cheaper wheels...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
alright i like this, its way cheaper than a sparco QR. think ill buy it in black

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the help. It does not appear that MM is selling steering wheel components anymore and I am Leary of purchasing from Griggs at this time so I believe I will check out that NRG piece.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I did the LM with MULTI-splined (not just like 6, but more like 30 splines) quick release, and welded it to the steering shaft.

(Dont have photos on my site, yet)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sweet Mfg. is now offering a splined 6 bolt quick release hub. Welding required.

I have it on my SCCA race car. I welded a 5" extension onto the stock steering shaft then welded the splined hub to it. This moved the steering wheel back closer to me and with my remote shifter, the setup works very well. I'm 6'3" and I sit very far back and low in the mustang. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Pics are up!!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
soo, im now using, MOMO adapter hub, NRG QR thin, and Sparco 300 wheel, i like it alot!

good for anti theft,
a must for ppl who have cages,

·
Registered
570 Posts
Show us some pics!

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm using an OMP Targa wheel, Sparco quick release and a Momo hub.

·
Registered
437 Posts
soo, im now using, MOMO adapter hub, NRG QR thin, and Sparco 300 wheel, i like it alot!

good for anti theft,
a must for ppl who have cages,
Same setup.
The NRG THIN piece, keeps the steering wheel in the stock location.

The pic is when I had the thicker (regular) adapter. I later got the THIN adapter. Its the only pic I've got of it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice thread to pop up, was thinking about changing my wheel up :) waiting for more pics

·
Registered
898 Posts
Anybody tried 1 of the Grant quick releases? Looks like they have one that slides down over the stock splines and then bolts on. Would that work for the street?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: Grant Quick Release

I've been using the Grant quick release hub with one of their steering wheels on my 92 coupe for years. Never had an issue with it. Mine was a snug fit. I remember having to provide a little encouragement with a bfh to get their splined adapter onto the stock column. Then I used the stock bolt in the end of the shaft. No issues at all. Doubt I could get it apart at this point but no need to as it's been flawless and would likely adapt to any wheel I chose to use.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I've been using the Grant quick release hub with one of their steering wheels on my 92 coupe for years. Never had an issue with it. Mine was a snug fit. I remember having to provide a little encouragement with a bfh to get their splined adapter onto the stock column. Then I used the stock bolt in the end of the shaft. No issues at all. Doubt I could get it apart at this point but no need to as it's been flawless and would likely adapt to any wheel I chose to use.
Do you have any pics of this? I have had the Grant quick release hub for about 6-8months now and still have not installed it as I have been unsure on what wheel I want to use. Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry for the delay

I'll try to take some pics tonight and post them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts