Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my steering rack since its trashed. its off the car but I havent read the part number on it. My question is, the previous owner said all the front suspension except the control arms came from an 04 GT. Is it safe to assume I will be able to slap on a cobra rack with no additional modification/parts? Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, while looking for parts I noticed it showed online a regular steering rack and a fox performance rack. Did the fox mustang have a performance package option.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Also, while looking for parts I noticed it showed online a regular steering rack and a fox performance rack. Did the fox mustang have a performance package option.
All the v8 Fox chassis had the performance rack - 15:1 I believe. The I4 cars had the non-performance rack - 20:1. Difference is turns lock-to-lock and road feel.

As for your prior question, you can assume an sn95 rack will bolt in but in all likelihood, the PO changed the inner tie rods from metric (94+) to SAE (79-93) in order to use the stock Fox chassis outers. This avoids cutting some length off the metric inners (they are too long when used on a Fox) and using the later outers.

Try to find an 03/04 Cobra rack. Best feel of all the later models except the unobtainium 00 Cobra R rack. Search Cobra racks for threads on both used and rebuilt by Cardone.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
If the rack is off the car, look at the input shaft. If it's "D" shaped, it's a Fox rack. If it's triangular shaped, it's an SN95 rack. If that's the case, a Cobra rack will install, but gtrracer is probably right on the money about the tie rod ends. Maybe take one to the hardware store and try to figure out the thread. If it's metric, they're SN95 ends, probably cut down for length. If it's SAE, they're foxbody ends, and you'll need to swap the tie rods on the new rack for fox style rods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts