Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this in the autox section because I wanted to get your opinions. Like most foxbody power steering pumps, my '91 LX makes a lot of noise. I want to fix this, but read to truly do the job right. You need to also replace the rack & pinion, as metal shavings are in the fluid everywhere. This would be OK since I participate in solo II autox events. I believe my OEM rack is 16:1? And I believe a 20:1 replacement is a available? Would this make a big difference in autox? Is it worth it? Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
ReplayMan,
If your LX is a 5.0L, you should have a 15:1 Rack.
You don't want a slower 20:1 Rack for Auto-X...For Open Track maybe.

Scott

·
Registered
506 Posts
In fact, as MFE on the board has said frequently, if you go to a parts store, just tell them you have a GT.
Telling them you have an LX can just confuse things, causing them to give you the wrong rack. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 5.0L Mustang, this thread has nothing to do with getting wrong parts.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I have a 5.0L Mustang, this thread has nothing to do with getting wrong parts.
Well then, here's hoping your next thread won't either :rofl:

I autocrossed my car for a while with a 20:1 rack, just because I didn't know that's what it was until after I installed it and I didn't want to deal with it again, and it sucked to drive. Although I did learn the handy technique of just flinging the wheel and letting it spin free until I thought enough angle had been dialed in or out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so the 15:1 rack is the quicker ratio. I get confused. Thanks. Anyone know if just changing the pump helps the noise go away?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
If your rack is original and in good order I would try with every you have to try to keep it. The remanufactured racks aren't that great. Heck, even the pumps are hit or miss as far as whining. Try to flush your old rack out as best as possible.

The first couple pages of the rr/ax section have some threads pertaining to mustang power steering systems that might interest you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, that sounds like good advice.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...and did some research. Sounds like the SN95 rack is better. Maybe that's what I was originally thinking???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts