Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think its finally time to replace the old steering rack and pinion.
Can anyone recommend a nice steering rack?
I did a lot of searching over at Corner Carvers, to see what everyone is using.
A couple of guys are running the 00 R racks, but I am not sure what they had to do to get them to work.
Some (GriggsP51) are using a Mach1/03 Cobra rack.
Does anyone know the difference's between these racks?
I really like to upgrade the stock rack for better feel and handling.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
After my 1989 rack went south, I went with a 2000R rack (only cause a local guy had one handy).
You can use most any rack: 87-93 replacement, 95+ takes a new steering shaft spline. Not rocket science (as you have read on CC).
Call Maximum Motorsport, and they have all the parts: racks / shafts/ u-joints / bumpsteer...

·
Registered
203 Posts
When you went to a 2000 Cobra R rack, did you have to change the pump to the Cobra unit or are they the same? How did you get around the steering shaft spline issue? Did steering feel improve any? Did steering effort increase? The stock set up seemsa bit light.

After reading to shave .250" off the rear of the mounting bosses on the rack in William Matheson's Mustang Performance Handbook, I tried it when I replaced my rack and I replaced the rubber bushings with polyurethane. The turn in seems to have improved a lot. I did a plus one tire and wheel upgrade at the same time so I will try to mount the old wheels and tires back on to see if it made any difference.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darius

Did you need to use fox inner tie rod ends?
Did you re-clock the rack to center the steering wheel?

I know I'll need MM steering shaft for 94 and newer. But the tech guy their say's I'll need fox inner tie rod's or cut the ones I have.
I just purchased a 03/04 cobra rack.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
FORCED87GT said:
I know I'll need MM steering shaft for 94 and newer. But the tech guy their say's I'll need fox inner tie rod's or cut the ones I have.
I'm using a 03 Cobra rack that I got from PPI. I've reclocked the rack (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jfeit/hosted/rackclock/rackclock.html), intalled the MM steering shaft (ST-50 I think) and I'm using Taurus rod ends. They fit with no problems on the rack and into my 94 spindles. I'm also using a 96 pump. I haven't gotten my brakes done yet so I can't comment on how it feels. I should be finishing up on Mon/Tue and can let anyone know who's interested.

-j

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
FORCED87GT said:
Darius

Thanks
I took my old shaft and "whittled" the end of it off, to get the splined u-joint to fit. Mounted it on there 90-degrees off to the other stock u-joint. I dont believe I needed to reclock the rack, as it cam out right that way...

The bumpsteer "sleeves" (tubes of alumin for attaching tie rods) had to change. Called MM and they sold me just a pair of those parts, as I already had a bumpsteer kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts