Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions/installation advice for those utilizing for autoX and road driving.

I have seen ball mounts and bolt mounts for foxbodies, not sure which is necessary for 79-93.
Do these get mounted inside the cab behind the dash; in the engine bay before the rag joint right near the firewall; or in the engine bay into the rack itself?

Is it necessary to shorten the physical steering shaft due to the additional length from the steering quickener?

Thanks,
Tim.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Don't know much about the installation details, but I think from a 'use' point of view you'll be better off with a 1.5 to 1 unit than a 2 to 1.

Norm

·
Super Moderator
27,652 Posts
Looking for opinions/installation advice for those utilizing for autoX and road driving.

I have seen ball mounts and bolt mounts for foxbodies, not sure which is necessary for 79-93.
Do these get mounted inside the cab behind the dash; in the engine bay before the rag joint right near the firewall; or in the engine bay into the rack itself?

Is it necessary to shorten the physical steering shaft due to the additional length from the steering quickener?

Thanks,
Tim.
Not sure on the install, but if you're dealing with a 20:1 3-turns rack like came in the 4-cylinders and early low-po V8's, you'd be better off installing a 15:1 2.5-turns rack from a V8, or better yet, an SN95 rack. 15:1 but better "feel".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For 5% HPDE and 35% autoX and 40% usual low speed driving around town would you advise against or for it?

Additionally I plan on having a complete donor SN95 (other post in here) for 5 lug, axle swap, etc. Will use whatever is beneficial over fox platform.

·
Super Moderator
27,652 Posts
I've personally never felt that the 15:1 racks were too slow so in my opinion it's not needed. I'd use the SN95 rack and call it a day, but that's just me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts