Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one for 500 dollars still in its box locally, is it worth is? How do they perform? I looked it up on Stedda web site and it lists for about 1300 dollars. I'm looking for a suspension that hooks up decently and goes around corners on rails. Not expecting the best of both worlds but would like to find a good compromise leaning toward handling over launching. My plans up front are K-member, control arms, coil overs, and caster-camber plates. For the rear I was thinking a watts link or panard bar with coil overs and maybe a torque arm. I have the money for my mods but the budget is tight (2,000) so I have to get the right parts the first time, preferable second hand.

So my question is how well does the steeda kit perform? Do you think it will get me where I want to go?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
If it includes everything and the panhard bar, go buy it, today.

You can find more info about them via corner carvers as well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don't do it. The 5-link-2 is the absolute worst suspension design...ever.
Please send the seller's info to me so that I can purchase the kit for proper
disposal!

Seriously, run, do not walk to purchase this kit! Remember, you will need
good LCA's (MM/J&M), 5-link specefic springs (Steeda), and Koni/Bilstein/Tok-
D-Spec. dampers for the system to work properly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you don't buy it, share the info so someone here can snatch it up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys, I'm going to buy it. I'll let you all know how it works out.

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
I disagree, the 5 Link 2 is not a good set-up.

It probably is better than the stock set-up, but the changes Steeda made in order to make it work with tailpipes are not good.

BTW, the original 5 Link is a very good set-up.

--Vince

·
Registered
57 Posts
I disagree, the 5 Link 2 is not a good set-up.

It probably is better than the stock set-up, but the changes Steeda made in order to make it work with tailpipes are not good.

BTW, the original 5 Link is a very good set-up.

--Vince
Could you please be more specific? I'm looking to purchase this kit for my project car. It will be a street car, and the reason I'm liking it better than the original is I believe with the original you can't run a rear swaybar?

Thanks,

Jesse

·
Registered
695 Posts
Could you please be more specific? I'm looking to purchase this kit for my project car. It will be a street car, and the reason I'm liking it better than the original is I believe with the original you can't run a rear swaybar?

Thanks,

Jesse
The original Steeda 5-Link was designed/developed by a Ford engineer who is also a road racer. It is a great design. The only negative is that tailpipes will not fit. The stock swaybar fits fine.

The Steed 5-Link 2 was designed by Steeda to work with tailpipes. The upper arm geometry was revised and the Panhard bar is much shorter. Is it better than stock? Yes. Is is great? No.

--Vince

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The original Steeda 5-Link was designed/developed by a Ford engineer who is also a road racer. It is a great design. The only negative is that tailpipes will not fit. The stock swaybar fits fine.

The Steed 5-Link 2 was designed by Steeda to work with tailpipes. The upper arm geometry was revised and the Panhard bar is much shorter. Is it better than stock? Yes. Is is great? No.

--Vince
I will add that when you shorten the panhard bar the system will not perform as well. Why that is, I am unsure of the exact dynamics of it. All I know is I have been told by suspesion gurus that the longer the bar the better.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
The shorter the bar, the tighter the arc the axle end of it makes as it moves through its travel. The tighter the arc, the more the axle is forced to move laterally as it moves through its travel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts