Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Oops... missed this. My island is all OK, except for a bit of vog... volcanic fog. Some sulfur dioxide gets into the atmosphere as well. I've got an very low-grade asthma and now, due to the release, I got some burning in my throat. I've been doubling-up on the inhaler.

Here's the updated flow map. Right where the flow entered the ocean, are some of the best lobstering grounds for the Hawaiian spiny lobster. Went on a diving trip there about 25 years ago. No trapping, only grabbing; those big ones put up a hell of a fight... all gone now.

Hawaiian folklore says Pele is "cleaning house" and rebuilding at the same time. While it's sad for those that lost homes, most Hawaiians understand and accept that the entire island chain sits on a volcanic plate.

Mahalo for your concern...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The flow on it's way to the ocean. This was on the June 3rd. Homes in the flow path to the ocean were consumed...

Yesterday, June 4th...

Today... June 5th. What was once a "bay" is now a differently shaped bay...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
There's going to be.... actually it's already started... a HUGE economic impact on that island (Hawaii County) as well as the entire state. Money spent, lost revenue (real property taxes and vacation-stay taxes), temporary housing, National Guard, police, fire spending. And she (the eruption) shows no sign of slowing down. The "where next" is the question...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's going to be.... actually it's already started... a HUGE economic impact on that island (Hawaii County) as well as the entire state. Money spent, lost revenue (real property taxes and vacation-stay taxes), temporary housing, National Guard, police, fire spending. And she (the eruption) shows no sign of slowing down. The "where next" is the question...
Well that sucks. At least no tourists for a while so it'll be quieter.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well that sucks. At least no tourists for a while so it'll be quieter.
This state's economy is tourist/visitor driven... But the media's coverage has steered a lot of visitors away. In reality only a small part of the island is affected. There were a few vacation rental homes down there, but they were VERY high-end, very private.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This state's economy is tourist/visitor driven... But the media's coverage has steered a lot of visitors away. In reality only a small part of the island is affected. There were a few vacation rental homes down there, but they were VERY high-end, very private.
Hope it doesn't hurt it too much. Never fun for that stuff to happen. A co-worker is on vacation there now and I hate him for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts