Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, trying to shed some light on two terrible experiences from AD performance. Me and a buddy of mine over on Vintage Mustang Forums both bought 331 shortblocks from them, judging by the rather positive reviews they had online. We both had our engines eat themselves alive via the Thrust Bearing within 100 miles of running time. Everyone was saying it was a 99% chance it was our fault and not theirs, and we just recently confirmed it as theirs. here is the link to the forum page

My 331 Repeated Failure Cause Identified. - Vintage Mustang Forums

I dont know what shady work they have going on over there, but me and my friend are both out 2300$ because of this whole scandal. Stay away form the company if you dont want to risk dealing with what we dealt with. The whole story can be find on Vintage Mustang Forums, under account names Sparta and Nailbender.

God bless.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No idea who they are. But, I can refer you to an excellent builder out of Chicago. Zack Smith. zsrengines.com. Built a mint blueprinted short block for me in less than 8 weeks. It's a 347 stroker, I am very happy and he is an excellent guy to work with. Sorry that you had this experience. Hope this helps folks.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I don't believe it. Brian has been on this site and others for years and I have NEVER heard a bad word about him or his work. I am betting you both did something wrong. I have done business with him and he is as legit as they come. I am calling bull#### on this.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
There are only two possible causes of a problem like this. There isn't enough info to know who was at fault, but it appears AD has had some QC issues reported from multiple people.

1.) The crankshaft to thrust clearance or surface machining is seriously wrong.

2.) Something outside the engine, either on the snout or the flywheel side, is pushing the crank hard against the bearing. This usually is from someone not checking end play clearances as the engine is bolted up to the transmission.

If the link worked it would be interesting to see what it says. Until then, it could be any side making the mistake.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would add the customer service from AD is atrocious, but the quality of my stroker kit was top notch
That's surprising to hear. My good friend just bought a Dart based 331 from Bryan and he said his customer service and response was top notch. Some of these issues have me concerned about the machine work of his block. He and I both can't decide if we should break it down and double check things.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
That's surprising to hear. My good friend just bought a Dart based 331 from Bryan and he said his customer service and response was top notch. Some of these issues have me concerned about the machine work of his block. He and I both can't decide if we should break it down and double check things.
I have resolved to check everything now.

I bought a freshly rebuilt engine from someone in SC. It had a Callies Magnum crank in a Boss block. It had Fox Lake high port heads with shaft rockers.

One would think it was top notch.

They helicoiled the head manifold bolt holes in a sloppy way, I had to redo that by making drilled and tapped plugs and installing them.

Now I learn the rocker geometry is so far off on the push rod side it eats push rods in a few passes.

I can fix this engine, but it was built by someone supposed to be a top notch builder who does this stuff professionally. My opinion now is unless you really know the person well and know he is always careful, don't trust anything. Check it all yourself.

·
Registered
121 Posts

I bought a freshly rebuilt engine from someone in SC. It had a Callies Magnum crank in a Boss block. It had Fox Lake high port heads with shaft rockers.

They helicoiled the head manifold bolt holes in a sloppy way, I had to redo that by making drilled and tapped plugs and installing them.

Now I learn the rocker geometry is so far off on the push rod side it eats push rods in a few passes.

I can fix this engine, but it was built by someone supposed to be a top notch builder who does this stuff professionally. My opinion now is unless you really know the person well and know he is always careful, don't trust anything. Check it all yourself.
Yeah I watched a lot of Woody's videos and saw that the thrust bearing area is a spot to pay special attention to. Ultimately the decision is my friends so I'll leave it up to him.

·
US Army Retired
5,311 Posts

Pay attention to the bolded part, whether crate or a kit always check the parts and pieces yourself and if you don't how then get someone who does and someone you trust to do it.

Lots of crap coming from shops and no one knows any better because they don't check and just assume.

I have learned my lesson in that department.

·
Registered
456 Posts
He built a great engine for me about 7 years ago that is a going strong today but his customer service recently hasn't been where it needs to be. If you're going to be a one man show, you have to be excellent all the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
good to know thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts