Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with a starting problem. have a 1990 GT with AOD and 120K miles. Car was running great now will not start. Have new battery and alt. Battery is being drained. If I put the battery on the charger or jump start the car it will start. When first starting the car, if I give gas the alt. gauge pushes up to the max and the battery light will come on. Once the battery is charged if I give gas the alt. gauge goes where it is expected and the battery light will not come on. I can start and stop the car with no problem. If I let the car sit over night the battery is drained and the cycle starts all over again. Sounds like a problem with the voltage regulator! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Alternator??

You may want to remove your alternator and take it to Autozone or Advance and have it load tested.
HTH

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would take the alt and battery and have both tested.....I replaced my battery a while ago and found out it was the alternator was bad. Autozone can test them both and if you're in the military they give you a dicsount too.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
starting problems - still

Thanks for the input. Good advice on testing the alt. I loaded tested the alt at AutoZone. The alt checks out just fine. I have since replaced the battery cables since they looked quite worn. Still have the problem with the battery being drained. I still have a short somewhere:mad:

·
Registered
88 Posts
leave the car off for a little while with the battery hooked up and check the fuse box for any warm fuses. This may help you to isolate the circuit thats causing the draw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts