Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a Trans brake considered a starting line aid, or "electronics"?

The rules for one of the classes I want to run in says:
...any device that aids in achieving a pre-arranged or programmed elapsed time, or starting line aid, or timer device, or stutter box is prohibited...
I didn't think it was, then one of the other guys in the class mentioned that it was illegal to run a trans brake.
Then someone else said it was basically unethical to use one...

Why the hate on the trans brakes?

And will I be using the foot brake or the trans brake for this race?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
In MOST places a trans brake is considered "electronics". Most places that run typical bracket classes.. Street, Pro and Super Pro, the electronics are reserved for the Super Pro cars. Pro is Footbrake, no electronics. And Street.. is street tires.. no electronics.. All the places I have ran have been that way. It sounds like you'll be having to Footbrake this race.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, the trans brake is considered electronis. This will be a foot brake race.

It's not a matter of hating on teh brake, it's a matter of keeping it fair for the budget racer. If you want to run the brake step up and run in a tougher class.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My understanding is that it only applies to electronics such as delay boxes and throttle stops...

·
Registered
551 Posts
True Street:
Any starting line aid other than line lock, transmission brake or two-step type device prohibited

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Most tracks have "box/no box" classes. As stated, Super Pro allows all the electronics to make the car run the number, but in the street and pro ET you usually will see "no box" as part of the class description. You'd be suprised how many try to cheat and run hidden "aids" to win in what should be a no-box class.

At my own track (GLD) when I used to run in street class, they would complain about my old EFI Extender, and when I ran a PMS in my Cobra they cried FOWL about that too... Probably got mad because I would win with stock radials and a stick shift against turbo400/slick cars.. :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Because there are more people here. And I was also looking for insight from other racing circles into the morality of using a transbrake; as it seemed that several people I talked to acted as if using one was cheating.
sawbones25 said:
Is a Trans brake considered a starting line aid, or "electronics"?
And
Then someone else said it was basically unethical to use one... Why the hate on the trans brakes?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts