Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you 5sp guys keep the car from rolling forward or backwards after staging? are you heel/toeing or what? using the line lock?

thanks

·
Registered
929 Posts
that would suck; heel/toe. Unless you got it down pack I would think it would mess with times. At least the track I go to has a flat staging line, can't say much for the end of the track tho

·
Registered
199 Posts
how do you 5sp guys keep the car from rolling forward or backwards after staging? are you heel/toeing or what? using the line lock?

thanks
Are you sure you are coming to a complete stop once staged, and then rolling around? I can't imagine a track would be so uneven that a car would roll from a dead stop.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Once I am staged, and the car is completely motionless, I left off the brake gently. It stays right where it sits. The sticky warmed up tires might help that also.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guys i'm new at this so bear with me.
actually i'm not sure if the car would move once staged. i was trying to load the clutch and build the rpms all while keeping the from breaking the beams. it's a nice track so i doubt it not flat in the staging area.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Once in the Lights, I push brake pedal down, then press line lock button, which deactivates the nitrous switch, and activates the 2 step, lift off the brake, stand on the gas pedal. When its go time I dump the clutch and let off the button as close to the same time as possible, and hold on.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i bring on the first bulb then set the linelock and twostep and slip the clutch to push into the second bulb that why i'm ready to go i run on a pro tree but it still makes it simple on a sportsman tree too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i bring on the first bulb then set the linelock and twostep and slip the clutch to push into the second bulb that why i'm ready to go i run on a pro tree but it still makes it simple on a sportsman tree too.
Exactly, I left that out, thanks for clarifying that for the everyone.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Damn i must be spoiled with my tracks i go to! They line is perfectly flat and even the car does roll at all. That has to be a PITA!
X2…although I think some of that has to do with having the rear brakes adjusted properly. On rear disc equipped vehicles a simple tug and release on the e-brake handle should sufficiently adjust the rear caliper while the drum brake folk will have to do a reverse hard brake to expand the rear star adjuster.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What do you mean by "load the clutch"?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I agree, what does loading the clutch mean to you? Do you plan to stage, and then possibly bring the RPMs up while engaging the clutch some? I don't see that doing much more than hurting your clutch. If this is what you intend to do I would invest in a line lock.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Loading the clutch just a tiny bit actually helps with the heavy shock to the drive train, when gears,joints,and friction surfaces take a 6k RPM instant hit. If you pre-load the drive train just a tad, parts will last longer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would not recommend partialy engaging the clutch while staging. You will most likely only cause premature clutch wear. Also, a stick car needs the initial hit to plant the tires. It is the suspensions job to keep it planted. If your car will not hook at 6000rpm, put it on the 2 step lower until it does. You will find yourself pushing through the lights doing that. A line-loc is the ONLY way to go.

·
Registered
152 Posts
"Loading" or slipping the clutch during staging will only generate a lot of heat and damage the clutch, flywheel and possibly ruin the main seal because of the heat generated.
The clutch and drive train should be set up to absorb the shock of launch without breaking parts. Ideally your clutch should be able to slip enough upon engagement to cushion the launch, that and a few revolutions of the tires will eliminate any chance of breakage.
I can only imagine how much heat is generated if my clutch is slightly engaged and I put it on the 2 step at 5800 rpm. Ouch!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I can only imagine how much heat is generated if my clutch is slightly engaged and I put it on the 2 step at 5800 rpm. Ouch![/QUOTE]

What clutch setup are you using? Just wondering?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I thought the honda guys were the only ones that did this to try to make the small parts hold up to 4, 6, 800hp turbo setups on slicks. I mean the theory is there, but haven't heard of too many guys doing it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts