Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all ... I bought a on3 turbo about 3-4 yrs ago for my mostly stock 02 GT . I have a build thread here some ware. I figured this is going to be a full rebuild motor to rear end I would start a new thread . for the most part I have a 4.6 with a few boltons and a on3 turbo 3.55 gears most should be in my sig .
So far I have ordered MMR 4.75 Liter Stroker Mod 1000SE (up to 1000 RWHP), 2V ******9.5.1******, Piston Notch for 2V, ARP Mainstud kit for 4.6/5.4, Iron Block AMMR Romeo Racing Sidebolt & Washer Kit
Just the short block still have to gather a lot . the motor I have in the car now has 85k mile on it and the turbo was installed about 6-8k miles ago and still runs like new . I can just pull the parts off that and put them on my new short block ...But nobody wants to do that :)) so give me some ideas .. I don't want to just throw $$$$$ . I want the best bang for my buck .

As for the trans I have access to a T56 32 spline ,aluminum flywheel , I think a spec clutch rated to 700-800 hp , aluminum driveshaft,
The trans has 16k on it and the clutch, flywheel and driveshaft have less than a few hundred miles

Will this trans setup work on my car with the 1first gen On3 turbo??? does everything fit meaning the hot side piping for the turbo or am I going to have to persuade some stuff to fit?

I need to turn a short block into a long block . upgrade fuel system and drive train .

This build is going to be for mostly street and some strip . I have a eboost electric boost controller that needs to be installed . and also have torque boxes I need to wield in . The car just got back from paint so im not going to do too much at this time other than gather parts.

I need ideas like heads, cams , intake , what kind of power am I looking at over stock? Meaning I don't want to get a expensive intake just to gain a few HP ..
I am new to putting a motor together so please help steer me in the right direction and if you happen to have parts that I can use PM me I have no problems using used parts as long as there good and at a fair price .

This is not going to be a long term project . I plan on being done by February March at the latest

Here are a few pictures of what I am starting with

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Congrats on a bad ass motor, I also have 5.0l stroker which spools turbo very fast. If you going to use 2v head you must out turbo cams instead of stock cams and upgrade valve springs to 120lb, if not you will have valve float and run like #### every time you shift . Return style fuel system will be the best as you will be pushing lot's of boost, stock fuel pressure sensor keeps blowing up once you start to make power.

Btw your car looks sexy!!!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
From what I've seen, the PI intake works great with a turbo/centrifugal supercharger so need to even upgrade there. Ported PI heads and turbo cams will also do just fine unless you are wanting like 800whp...

Read for inspiration/info. Although you might want to contact On3 and see about upgrading to the forward facing headers/hotside. IIRC it isn't full price for owners of the Gen1 kits.

I would imagine the T-56 would work fine but I'm sure others will chime in. You might also consider a built 3650 as those things are rocks when done right and alot of guys with street turbos are running 3.27s or even 3.08s from what I'm reading. This will give you great highway cruising even with a .63 or .67 or whatever 5th gear ratio in a 5 spd. But if the T-56 is available and ALL the swap parts are available for under $1500 go with that, if not consider the built 5 speed NEW at around $1500. At least that is about what you'll pay for a T45 capable of handling 500-600whp, I'm assuming the 3650 is the same and parts are easier to get apparently.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Where did you pick up the Saleen wing from?

Sounds like you have a pretty sweet combo coming along. I just picked up an '04 with lots of goodies on it. I cannot offer much help for parts yet as I am learning myself! Good luck!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have a first gen kit and the guy I bought the kit from had t56 and said exhaust had to be modified to fit. I had to modify it back to fit 3650. How much boost and timing are you running in the dyno graph ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I knew heads and cams were going to have to happen . I am going to really need help there . I have a line on a set of used tested tea ported heads ($900)and turbo ground cams ($350). As for the trans I was leaning T56. I want that extra gear . But didn't want to mod the on3 piping . Also the T56 I was looking at with all the parts listed in 1st post is looking at costing $2100 . Guess its not as good as deal I thought is was . Any help with prices on the parts I need would help greatly . I do plan on return fuel system triple hat just waiting on a quote for the parts . The drivetrain has to be able to handle anything I can throw at it 650-1000hp. I only want to do it once .
And no I am not going Auto . I know I can go faster W/Auto just don't want it . I would like to upgrade the on3 to FF but just cant do it now . And twins just keep popping into the back of my mind maybe next spring :)As for the wing . I got it at Stage 3 . I didn't look around just needed one fast the painter wouldn't paint the one I had on the car. After he started the work . So bought the one you see. the one on the car originally was fiberglass and the new one is from Saleen supposedly . Its more a rubber (polyurethane ) wing and has a better fit . Heat it up and it molds itself to the car
When the tuner tuned my car he was not the most sociable person . So he didn't give me much information on what he was doing . he said he did not mess with the timing much and I am running 8psi . I do have a copy of the tune on my computer just don't know how to read it and what to use to read it . I also have everything to data log and have had the laptop hooked to the car and did a little run log but that was awhile ago .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first thing I am going to do is the fuel system . I can install it as soon as it comes in and get it working before I pull the old motor . That way I know its working when the new motor goes in .

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
You really don't need the extra gear with the T-56... With a turbo and a built motor 3.27s or even 3.08s are what you'll probably want to run and you'll turn 2100ish RPM at 80mph with the 3.08s. It's about half $ wise for a newly built up 3650 than a new T-56.

Also if its not a GM spec or "Viper" T-56 that extra gear means precisely dick. The Cobra T-56s 6th gear ratio is only .63

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
If its a 1/4 car and the fastest possible ETs are the goal then I have to agree with ^^

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Autox? I can't see a auto beating a 5 spd there, maybe a manual paddle shifted one...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
lol I knew you would say something dumb like that. Yeah, lots of guys running around autoxing their turbo Mustangs. Real concerned about how they perform.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks like the transmission is still undecided . Honestly I am not switching to auto. I do have a eboost boost controller . I am going to install this Friday and tap the turbo . That will be 1 small thing checked off my list . Still waiting to hear on the fuel system.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I still say get in touch with Zak at www.the45source.com and talk to him about getting your current trans built to handle your desired power. They do 3650s as well as t45s and I'm sure other stuff too, he mentioned they did a few geforce T-5s recently. I was on the phone with him yesterday and he was a really great guy, very knowledgeable and one thing he did mention is that at about above 600whp it starts to get into a grey area with manual transmissions because of the G-forces applied to the fluid. Fluid can get pushed to the rear of the case and starve the front of the transmission and toast it no matter how well it was built.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Autox Diffidently a lot more than 1/8 ,1/4 mile. I live less than 40 minutes from Texas world speedway. I am starting to lean on the side of rebuilding my trans and dif. Price is a concern .

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I got quoted roughly $1900 for a 600whp capable t45 and that was with the core charge included IIRC. That was for ME though and a t45. YMMV but I'd imagine it would be similar. No conversion or extra parts or adapters or whatever like you'll have with a T-56. And way cheaper... That's just all my opinion but it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I guess I just don't understand why people with turbo cars are so dead set on spending MORE money to go SLOWER and have a car that doesn't drive as good. Please somebody explain to me what is so much more fun about that lol

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Easier on the motor, little-no parasitic power loss, gets into full spool way faster than the centris can, doesn't run out of air up top like a positive displacement blower will... I can think of other reasons. They're just generally more complicated on the initial install that's all.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts