Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posting here because the answer/concerns may be different than a N/A application.

Info: 1995 GT / Trickflow Street Heat U/L / 10 PSI SQ

Problem: I installed Fox valve covers, and ended up with interference between the VC and EGR flange on the elbow. I ground the flange down as far as I safely can, and it's still *just* kissing the VC. Still having the old gasket, I've found that adding a second gasket thickness is just enough to solve the problem.

Question: Can I stack two (new) upper intake gaskets? (I don't see how this would be worse than installing a phenolic spacer and two gaskets.) If so, would it be recommended to use adhesive between the gaskets to make it more like one piece? I'm thinking Ultra Gray RTV or perhaps high-bond spray adhesive if it can stand the temps.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, kb. I'd seen mention of the Cometic gaskets elsewhere. I researched last night, but I didn't see anything to fit the Trickflow intake. (Did I miss it?)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Cometic will custom make gaskets also so your not limited to just those options i listed. Just give them a call with what you need.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just to close this out, I ended up getting another gasket set and using a (very) thin bead of Ultra Gray RTV to join two together. Cometic was going to need me to ship them one of the gaskets, and with that, the turnaround time, and the cost, stacking just seemed like the better option. If it had been a more critical application, I may have gone that route, but for this one, I think things will be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Just to close this out, I ended up getting another gasket set and using a (very) thin bead of Ultra Gray RTV to join two together. Cometic was going to need me to ship them one of the gaskets, and with that, the turnaround time, and the cost, stacking just seemed like the better option. If it had been a more critical application, I may have gone that route, but for this one, I think things will be fine.
Besides the cost, any reason why you wouldn't send Cometic one of the gaskets in case your stacked gasket option failed?

Thanks
Michael Plummer

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Only that the spares I have are from BBK (mistake), and were a horrible match to the intake. I wouldn't want to use them for a pattern. There's a pic in my Fox valve cover thread in the 94/95 section..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Posting here because the answer/concerns may be different than a N/A application.

Info: 1995 GT / Trickflow Street Heat U/L / 10 PSI SQ

Problem: I installed Fox valve covers, and ended up with interference between the VC and EGR flange on the elbow. I ground the flange down as far as I safely can, and it's still *just* kissing the VC. Still having the old gasket, I've found that adding a second gasket thickness is just enough to solve the problem.

Question: Can I stack two (new) upper intake gaskets? (I don't see how this would be worse than installing a phenolic spacer and two gaskets.) If so, would it be recommended to use adhesive between the gaskets to make it more like one piece? I'm thinking Ultra Gray RTV or perhaps high-bond spray adhesive if it can stand the temps.

Thanks in advance.
I have stacked gaskets In a diagnosis attempt to cure a vacuum leak on a TFS EFI R intake. It doesn't work. The difference between a phenolic spacer with a gasket on each side of the spacer, and two gaskets is the hard sealing surface. Without it, you have two soft surfaces that will attempt to conform, but will just bunch up causing more small gaps and leaks. Get a spacer or different valve covers.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have stacked gaskets In a diagnosis attempt to cure a vacuum leak on a TFS EFI R intake. It doesn't work. The difference between a phenolic spacer with a gasket on each side of the spacer, and two gaskets is the hard sealing surface. Without it, you have two soft surfaces that will attempt to conform, but will just bunch up causing more small gaps and leaks. Get a spacer or different valve covers.
Thanks for your input. I've already completed the installation, so I'll have to wait and see if I have any problems. Your experience is precisely why I bonded the two gakets together prior to installation. Hopefully this will avoid that issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts