Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This squeaking seems to be coming from behind the gauge cluster. I have had it out and can't pinpoint it. It seems like it may be behind the vent that comes out of the top of the dash but I can't find it. It appears to happen mostly when I am driving about 80mph with the a/c on. I don't think it's the a/c because it continues after I turn it off. Seem slike tha a/c and speed are what causes the vibration and subsequent squeak. Nothinb rubbing on the firewall under the hood. Could it maybe be the cables coming out of the firewall? I'm stumped, please help if you can. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

J

·
0 Posts
ME Too!!!

I also have this squeeking behind the center dash/vents, its not from my ac though, I never use it. I would love to hear if anyone has solved this it drives me nuts, I only really notice it if I am going over 55.
Anyone?

·
Registered
74 Posts
sounds like worlds loudest crickets?

Lol. I think I know the one you mean. But if it is, it's actually outside of the car and your hearing it as if its in the dash. The one I'm referring to is the plastic cowl that the windsheild "sits on" and the wiper arms extend through at the edge of the hood. There are little plastic molded supports that extend down under this that hold it there. they sit on a post or edge and arent actually attached to it..so they kind of buffet around and squeak. The only fix I've heard of is to shoot a little WD-40 down at them through the screen to half @ss it. Taking it off would be the best way..but whos got time for that? Hope this fixes it., it did on mine. And yes, I swore it wasn't outside of the car either...lol. It just seems so way too loud.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I will try that, but I am certain my noise is different. I had that noise on my 94 and this one I am hearing is definitely not the same, but who knows.

Will let you know eventually.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
where exactly are you aiming the WD40? through the crack where it meets the car, or through the little holes?
also how would you go about taking this off to do it the whole @ss way? :p

·
Registered
162 Posts
I too have the same squeek. This has happened ever since I bought my car with 32K miles on it. I'll have to check out the WD40 trick. I hear it at all speeds and more so when I hit a bump.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got the chirping sound too but mine is actually under the dash. I think it is the structural piece that supports all the dash. I can reach up there and shake it and it chirps minorly. however, i have not found any loose screws yet.

as for taking the cowl off, its easy. first take your wiper arms off. then the thing is just held down by 3 or 4 pop pins. pry up a corner and start popping.

-d

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a chirping sound when my car was new. I finally figured out that it was coming from where the plastic A-pillar piece was rubbing against the dash. I just squirted some Armor-all on it and, Voila! no more squeak.:cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Drew and Freakboy I think you have nailed it for my problem. My noise seems to be coming from the dash. Cherping is a better way to discribe what I am hearing. I really hope that from what the two of you have said, I can do the same. I would like nothing more than to get rid of that noice!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think it is the cowl on mine but anything is worth a shot. It's not a big deal to pull off so maybe I'll drive around a couple of days without it and see. If anybody else has anymore ideas or solutions please post.

·
Registered
951 Posts
No fixes here. Do have the same chirping however. Unbelievable.

Do you realize there are more people who have this chirping sound than have dyno numbers for longtube headers or reground cams? Sad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts