Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does this tell you about my suspension? I was only about 80% on the brakes. Are my springs too soft? I don't know what rate they are, I just know they are Steeda springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
So what does this tell you about my suspension? I was only about 80% on the brakes. Are my springs too soft? I don't know what rate they are, I just know they are Steeda springs.
Who knows? We have no idea what the rest of the setup is under your car? Stock sway bars? Stock suspension other than the springs?

Frankly, it doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary with regard to mustang body roll and brake dive. The problems are not so much spring related as they are geometry related.

Although that doesn't mean that your steeda springs are good for performance, either.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who knows? We have no idea what the rest of the setup is under your car? Stock sway bars? Stock suspension other than the springs?

Frankly, it doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary with regard to mustang body roll and brake dive. The problems are not so much spring related as they are geometry related.

Although that doesn't mean that your steeda springs are good for performance, either.
The geometry is all stock. The front sway bar is stock, the rear is a steeda. The shocks are edelbrock (didn't even know they make shocks). Would stiffer springs and adjustable shocks help much? Or should I just save up for a coilover setup?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with the car and how serious you want to get. What class would you be building it for?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on what you want to do with the car and how serious you want to get. What class would you be building it for?
I'm building for CAM class. Pretty sure I'm only legal for CAM and XP since I have an aftermarket engine block and 347 kit. I want to be as competitive as possible while still keeping the car as a great DD. I've read that coil-overs increase the wheel rate a lot while keeping comfortable ride quality.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I'm building for CAM class. Pretty sure I'm only legal for CAM and XP since I have an aftermarket engine block and 347 kit. I want to be as competitive as possible while still keeping the car as a great DD. I've read that coil-overs increase the wheel rate a lot while keeping comfortable ride quality.
Before you start throwing parts at the car you need to understand the shortcomings of the stock suspension and what problems you are trying to address.

Read here as a start...

The Official Suspension Guide - MustangForums.com

Figure out what modifications you are allowed in class, then start working on the abortion that is your rear suspension. Coilovers are great but they are not your biggest problem right now.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
XP is a stupid fast class on slicks or DOT R-comps, forget it. Like minimum weight 2200 lbs or something stupid forget it. Your motor would be CP legal though, minimum weight 3000 lbs. But CP cars are also real race cars on real slicks. Forget it. CAM is your best bet. I watched CAM at Nationals (I was the Sportscar reporter for that heat). There are some awesome cars in CAM but none that couldn't be caught with power, suspension, and weight reduction, imo. Just gotta fit FAT tires front and rear. 315s at a minimum. Also, a great daily driver won't be competitive in any class at a level higher than regional once a real car shows up. Buy a beater for a great daily. Your mustang is 21 years old. It's old enough to drink. #### will start breaking fast. Alternator cable here. TFI there. Fuel pump. ECU. This #### all strands you on the side of the road. Solution: racecar!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Looks like a Mustang with the stock style rear suspension. A Torque arm will fix it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
XP is a stupid fast class on slicks or DOT R-comps, forget it. Like minimum weight 2200 lbs or something stupid forget it. Your motor would be CP legal though, minimum weight 3000 lbs. But CP cars are also real race cars on real slicks. Forget it. CAM is your best bet. I watched CAM at Nationals (I was the Sportscar reporter for that heat). There are some awesome cars in CAM but none that couldn't be caught with power, suspension, and weight reduction, imo. Just gotta fit FAT tires front and rear. 315s at a minimum. Also, a great daily driver won't be competitive in any class at a level higher than regional once a real car shows up. Buy a beater for a great daily. Your mustang is 21 years old. It's old enough to drink. #### will start breaking fast. Alternator cable here. TFI there. Fuel pump. ECU. This #### all strands you on the side of the road. Solution: racecar!
Yeah, that's why I got stickers made for CAM lol. I have 285 width Hankook RS3s. I got 285 cause that is the largest I could fit up front and I want to be able to rotate all the tires so that they last longer. That gives you an idea of the direction I am taking the mustang. It isn't my DD but I want to make sure it could be a great DD for anyone else, or if I decide to make it my DD. And by competitive, I mean I would like to consistently place top 3 at my local events. Right now I am between 3-5. I'm willing to do all new suspension geometry but I won't ever strip the interior or go crazy with weigh savings.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like a Mustang with the stock style rear suspension. A Torque arm will fix it.
Will it? That would be awesome. I already have a MM panhard bar waiting to go in. I'm just saving up money until I can get the MM torque arm. From everything I've read, doing the torque arm/panhard bar is the single biggest improvement you can make.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before you start throwing parts at the car you need to understand the shortcomings of the stock suspension and what problems you are trying to address.

Read here as a start...

The Official Suspension Guide - MustangForums.com

Figure out what modifications you are allowed in class, then start working on the abortion that is your rear suspension. Coilovers are great but they are not your biggest problem right now.
Thanks for the link! Yeah, I'm eventually going to a torque arm/panhard bar rear end. And in regards to CAM, pretty much anything is legal. 200TW or more. Above a certain weight and wheelbase. And a complete interior.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The majority of what you are seeing isn't front dive as much as it is rear lift. As stated the stock 4 link geometry is at work here. A torque arm will change that, bringing the longitudinal instant center inside of the wheel base. This both reduces rear lift and provides antisquat, increasing traction on acceleration. However, it is not all free. There will be need of increased rear spring rate to ofset the removal of the upper arms as well as a shock that is valved appropriately. The forces that reduce dive also contribute to axle brake hop. The adjustable compression of the Koni double adjustable OR (I assume) the custom valved Bilstein shocks that Maximum Motorsports offers will help here.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The majority of what you are seeing isn't front dive as much as it is rear lift. As stated the stock 4 link geometry is at work here. A torque arm will change that, bringing the longitudinal instant center inside of the wheel base. This both reduces rear lift and provides antisquat, increasing traction on acceleration. However, it is not all free. There will be need of increased rear spring rate to ofset the removal of the upper arms as well as a shock that is valved appropriately. The forces that reduce dive also contribute to axle brake hop. The adjustable compression of the Koni double adjustable OR (I assume) the custom valved Bilstein shocks that Maximum Motorsports offers will help here.
It also will ride better because the bind created by the UCAs will be gone. The ONLY downside is a little more NVH coming thru your butt from the rear end that is now attached to a crossmember right under your butt and I've never experienced any rear wheel hop under braking.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It also will ride better because the bind created by the UCAs will be gone. The ONLY downside is a little more NVH coming thru your butt from the rear end that is now attached to a crossmember right under your butt and I've never experienced any rear wheel hop under braking.
Awesome!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah. My goal (if I can afford it) is to get the torque arm, rear springs, and rear shocks all at the same time. And maybe the height adjustable MM LCAs.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You need to figure out what springs you have on the front. My guess is that they are the Sport springs which is not enough.If you are not going coilover then you need to go to a H&R Race or Super Race spring. That may sound like a lot of spring but it's really not. It's about the equivalent of a 250# coilover and on track cars people routinely use 450# or so coilovers. Use a MM TA5 or 6 on the rear for the PHB/TA setup. For shocks the Koni SAs or the Bilsteins are the best choices. MM makes a grooved Bil that can be converted to coilover later should you so desire.

If you can't drop all that coin at once then get the Race or Super Race springs now and the shocks of your choice for both ends of the car along with your PHB. That will keep you happy for a while as that will be a BIG improvement. Then add the TA and change the rear springs to the TA 5 or 6 later. Oh for the TA you will need the MM SFCs. Hopefully you have already done that as that is the very first thing you should have done.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You can do a lot with conventional front geometry and springs etc. if you car is dedicated to the track. If you want to street drive the car without losing your teeth, and still be competitive on track, you will want coilovers and adjustable shocks. Personally, I prefer the approach of stiffening the springs until you are lifting tires, then soften the swaybar until the tires set back down. If you can't get air with your front tires with your torque, you either need more rear grip or your chassis is drooping (flexing). To fix this, get a torque arm and PHB, and do some seam welding/roll bar if you want to make use of the high springs rates, otherwise the chassis just flexes like a spring.

Frank

·
Registered
71 Posts
One thing that I didn't see anyone else address, is the fact that adding the TA/PHB rear set up without making comparable changes to the front suspension will cause a dramatically unbalanced handling car.
If you run a TA or 3-Link/PHB set up in the rear you will have to run significantly stiffer springs ( and shocks that can control them) like j rick kirby & fast-frank-d suggested.
I have run both a TA/PHB and a 3-Link/PHB set up on the rear, while keeping the front suspension in a stock type configuration. Both cars went from balanced, fairly neutral handling to excessive understeer. I switched both cars to the MM TA-5 rear springs which helped. I also turned the front shocks to there softest setting. Not the best solution but it has helped until both cars are switched a coil over front set up. Oh and we ran an aggressive front alignment on both cars.
This is something you will need to consider both as a budget concern & handling concern.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One thing that I didn't see anyone else address, is the fact that adding the TA/PHB rear set up without making comparable changes to the front suspension will cause a dramatically unbalanced handling car.
If you run a TA or 3-Link/PHB set up in the rear you will have to run significantly stiffer springs ( and shocks that can control them) like j rick kirby & fast-frank-d suggested.
I have run both a TA/PHB and a 3-Link/PHB set up on the rear, while keeping the front suspension in a stock type configuration. Both cars went from balanced, fairly neutral handling to excessive understeer. I switched both cars to the MM TA-5 rear springs which helped. I also turned the front shocks to there softest setting. Not the best solution but it has helped until both cars are switched a coil over front set up. Oh and we ran an aggressive front alignment on both cars.
This is something you will need to consider both as a budget concern & handling concern.
Thanks. Yeah I plan to do coil-overs in front eventually but because of my budget I will have to get there in stages. First stage is the rear. I already have a PHB and I just ordered the TA on black friday. I plan on getting the new TA springs too. Bad news is, I just found out my SFCs aren't sufficient so I have to have them cut out and MM SFCs put in. I don't know how much that will cost. I also can't afford new rear shocks right now. I plan on getting coil overs next (in 6mo or 1yr) along with new shocks all around. Then maybe (big maybe) new k-member, a-arms, and adjustable height LCAs.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Thanks. Yeah I plan to do coil-overs in front eventually but because of my budget I will have to get there in stages. First stage is the rear. I already have a PHB and I just ordered the TA on black friday. I plan on getting the new TA springs too. Bad news is, I just found out my SFCs aren't sufficient so I have to have them cut out and MM SFCs put in. I don't know how much that will cost. I also can't afford new rear shocks right now. I plan on getting coil overs next (in 6mo or 1yr) along with new shocks all around. Then maybe (big maybe) new k-member, a-arms, and adjustable height LCAs.
Not sure WTF EJthePJ is talking about. First he says that no one addressed the change in balance because of the addition of the TA then he says that myself and fast-frank-d did address it. Anyhow the TA 5 or 6 springs is how you get the balance back, or at least most of it. I ended up also adding a pair of Eibach sway bars and that really helped the front end stick better. I know that goes against conventional chassis engineering logic but because it took a lot of body roll out of the car the front is now using the whole foot print of the tire and not rolling over on the outside edge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts