Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I tried to find out but was basically told, "We don't give out that information because then others could copy us." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard of that happening. Must be Eibach springs, I hear they are pretty stingy. O well.....

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I'm thinking I may give these a shot. I think the price is decent for Koni singles(WITH SPRINGS)with a somewhat matched spring. Surely the singles can handle upto 600 rate front spring.

I'll give the place a call and ask myself.....worth a shot. I may lean towards that Bilstein package on the same website. Similiar price, and deep down I really don't wanna go through the test-n-tune of an adjustable shock again.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
579 Posts
We sell the Koni Kits and they are not forthcoming on the rates to dealers..:(

DaveW

·
579 Posts
Bill,

Don't hold your breath. The official line that I've gotten is that thier spring rates are a certain percentage higher than stock, and lower the car a certain amount (depends on the car) and that's all you need to know. :)

It sucks, but thier market for these kits is someone who just wants a small performance and looks improvement, and doesn't care about or isn't qualified to know the spring rates. It is a "matched package" and that is it's draw.

Kind of a bummer, but the kits do sell well, so maybe they are on to something.

HTH,

DaveW

·
579 Posts
Or it could just be that there's a sucker born every minute.
Possibly. :)

Actually, IMO, there is a pretty large population of people who aren't familiar or comfortable with selecting matched spring rates, and won't/can't spend the time researching all the combinations, so they may be better off juts buying a package to get them started.

Just IMO,
DaveW

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's not like any of us are asking for the specific material information, wire diameter, coil diameter, and active coil count that they used to get to whatever rate. Even for a little after the fact trimming, it's still not necessary to know all of that (even though at that point one could make all of the necessary measurements).

As far as the notion of "matched package" goes, if they don't describe what their basis for calling it "matched" happens to be, even that is not tremendously useful information (matched for what? best ride at 35 mph? best ride at 85 mph? autocross? drifting? car fully loaded? driver only?)

Norm

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did you guys call Koni directly? Lee Grimes was very helpful when I called with a Honda question.

A few years ago, I had no luck getting rates for my Volkswagen at H&R, but I didn't know of anyone to specifically ask for.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That link also has a generic picture so the set may or may not be coil overs. Are you looking to go coil overs or regular?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re-thinking.......i've talked to a couple others who seemed to brag on the "ride quality" versus the performance gain. "C" springs seem cheap, have a stiff rate, and may just get some Bilsteins's like I orginally planned.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I've been real happy with my Tokico Illuminas and C springs. The 5 position adjustments with marked and detented settings make them very easy to tune for different surfaces. Read what Tokico has to say here. http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/car/mustang.html

The ILK238 is a kit with Illumina shocks and struts and 1.5" lowering springs. I found it for $573.31 with free shipping here. http://www.performancepeddler.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TOKILK238 They also have a "email best offer" link that would be worth a try.

You could try calling Tokico at 800-548-2549 and see if they will give you the spring rates. They seem to have spent a fair amount of testing with Mustangs.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
2k2GT said:
Re-thinking.......i've talked to a couple others who seemed to brag on the "ride quality" versus the performance gain. "C" springs seem cheap, have a stiff rate, and may just get some Bilsteins's like I orginally planned.
Tony,
I haven't run the Tokico Illuminas, as Han Solo suggested, so I can't comment on them. However, I have run and still run Bilsteins on my 95 Cobra and I have one thing to say, AWESOME DAMPERS! They improve the ride tremendously over the stock stuff and use progressive valving that handles high rate springs without a problem. I used them with a set of FMS B springs, then a set of H&R Race springs and now with front coil overs. For a daily driver/autocross car they are excellent and work extremely well with the H&R Race springs. The H&R's were 750-850# front and 265-285# rear so they provide a firmer ride and better handling than the C springs if you want more performance. The ride is not objectionable on the street either, just firm.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bilstein's/H&R combo..........lemme check the bank account(shouldn't take long, it's only about 2-digits deep! :( )

1 - 20 of 38 Posts